1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeter: Where Does He Rank Among All-Time Greats?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I remember someone saying that Derek Jeter is proof that someone can be a deserved first-ballot Hall-of-Famer and still be overrated.

I think there's a lot of truth to that. He is great, he's a winner, but I think he's perceived as being better than he actually was.

I'm sure in the next few weeks, someone who should know better will write that he was the greatest SS of all-time if they haven't already.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In more than 20% of Ripken's games he played 3B.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he ranged to his left and handled 62% of the shortstop's chances. For at least the first 1,789 games.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The Orioles did it because he was becoming a liability at shortstop, like Jeter has been for years. Hubris got in the way of the Yankees doing the same, although I think Jeter would have been a better fit at second base.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I would argue he is. Who is in the conversation for all-time greatest SS?

Honus Wagner - great player for his era but how can you say someone who played 110 years ago is the best ever?

ARod - sorry but he only spent half his career at shortstop. If he had put up the same numbers from 2004-2013 while playing shortstop we might have an argument.

Ripken - better defensive player and his great seasons, 1983 and 1991 are better than Jeter's best. But Jeter was also a better, more consistent hitter. Ripken had a lot of mediocre years. From 1995-2001, the height of the steroid era Ripken hit .272 with a 96+ OPS. From 1987-1990 (his late 20s, should have been his 'peak') he hit .256. Jeter was a great hitter right up through his age 38 season when he led the league in hits.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thank Ernie Banks fella sucked.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

baseball-reference.com. Hall of Fame, Jeter.

Black Ink Batting - 10 (242), Average HOFer ≈ 27
    Gray Ink Batting - 145 (99), Average HOFer ≈ 144

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm still interested in the 62 hits in the final 10 games thing. That'd be quite an accomplishment. Maybe Hall of Fame worthy.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You aren't really asking Manky to be reasonable about Jeter, are you?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Ernie Banks played less than half his games at SS.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

You shouldn't use stats you don't understand.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

OK, since no one else has offered up their rankings of the greatest players of all-time, I will post mine:

1) Babe Ruth
    2) Willie Mays
    3) Hank Aaron
    4) Barry Bonds
    5) Derek Jeter
    6) Mickey Mantle
    7) Ted Williams
    8) Stan Musial
    9) Joe DiMaggio
    10) Chipper Jones

Draft saved Draft deleted