1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there now a trust gap with Peter King?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

LTL,

I don't believe he lied. I believe he told the truth. My opinion is he is lying now to protect someone. Why? Only King knows.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Which time are you talking about?

--He reported months ago that the NFL had seen the tape. I believe this was the truth. (Same thing everyone else reported at the same time too.)
    --Then he said he mis-heard his source and failed to follow up. I believe that's the lie and continues.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And has anyone at SI asked him about this?

That's what I don't understand. Is there an ombudsman or someone there that gives a crap that King has lied to his audience (or reported as fact something someone told him he assumed had happened, but apparently wasn't in a position to know)?

Is no one at SI concerned about clearing this up?

If i was in charge of a news organization, and a "trust gap" had developed with my audience, I'd be concerned. SI doesn't seem to care.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's not so much whether I want to hear it or not. I am more prone to understanding how sources work and why teams get all worked up. It's whether readers should get anonymous sources, and what readers think of them.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you on this...he's lying now to protect someone.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think the non-answer is the answer. Same for Schefter. (I think Mort stood by his initial reporting when asked about it.) Everyone just hopes the whole thing goes away.

7. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Believe me when I say my quibble here is not with you, but I did cringe throughout your post. And I know you know this, but I'm just making a point: Anything that comes from outside the writer's head is a source, making that material sourced. Of course, you mean anonymous (or, unnamed) sources. Of course, you don't mean sourcing, you mean using unnamed sources. I damn sure hope the best reporters out there are using sources. I damn sure hope stories are sourced. I'm being overly literal here, and I think you get my point.

But the language of how the cool kids talk about it has evolved in such a way that even a critic of the practice (you) has succumbed to the vernacular. And again, this is not a knock on you. It just jumped out at me reading your post.

8. How about a thigh gap and Peter King?

No Pics please!!!!

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Adrian Wojnarowski wrote a column last week that mirrored every point John Calipari has made about Mike Krzyzewski and USA Basketball. Wojnarowski, who is to the NBA what Peter King and Adam Schefter combined are to the NFL, coincidentally had a major Kentucky basketball scoop about three weeks ago.

This is how the industry works now. It's all about trading information for spin. We let it get to this point. And when I say "we," I mean we the readers as much as we the journalists.

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Wojnarowski, who is a phenomenal reporter, conveniently left out that Calipari coached Karl Towns on the Dominican Republic's national team. What team will Towns play for this season?

11. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

Seems unfair bordering on insane to add two and two and get Calipari feeding Woj the Coach K story or the Kentucky scoop a few weeks back. How did Woj get either story? Hell if I know. Same way he breaks every damn other thing maybe. But Cal and Woj do not like each other at all. I know each a little bit, enough to repeat: Both guys do not like each other. At all.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Good reason to like Woj. Automatically, I mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted