1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cutbacks coming at the Tampa Bay Times?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesportsscribe, Sep 18, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Interesting names here, including the rumored retirement of longtime sports editor Jack Sheppard. And Hankins was the sports desk chief for some time.

http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/163990

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And damn, that email does not paint a pretty picture.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My God. That shit's scary. About 10 pages a day out of the daily paper?

Yeah. No one will notice that. (Rolls eyes)

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sports section these days is skimpy, to say the least. Still a good overall product, just a lot, lot less of it.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I believe "bloated copy desk", but even if it is, hell, it's nice to see that over the alternative these days of "no copy desk."

On the sports copy desk, Dona Hankins was a pro. Among others who have departed in recent months.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I doubt they had people sitting around doing nothing. Either way, doesn't look like it's going to be bloated anymore. Last I heard, sports guys were editing stories for other sections. And that was a year or two ago. And Dona Hankins is very good, and she takes it quite seriously.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

if they had a copy desk of 40+ people putting out one (seriously streamlined) newspaper, it was more bloated than just about any paper I've seen in a while.

Our copy desk produces three newspapers with a desk of about 45.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we have 15 or so on busier nights to put out a bigger paper than what they are producing these days.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Shelton's final column just posted.
    Says he's launching his own gig, GarySheltonsports.com, a subscription-based site.
    So he's following the Pittsburgh guy's lead.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Read today that Poynter sold 6 acres or so of property near its headquarters to USF St. Pete for $6 million. Guess that will help a bit. But at the same time, the organization lost $3.5M last year.

http://www.poynter.org/mediawire/top-stories/282023/poynter-in-negotiations-to-sell-land-to-usf/

http://www.poynter.org/mediawire/top-stories/282229/the-poynter-institute-lost-3-5-million-in-2013-makes-progress-toward-new-revenue-sources/

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

How has that venture gone for the Pittsburgh guy?

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I like Shelton's stuff, but I can't see paying for the work. Also wonder how TB Times' paywall is working out. I have avoided the sire for the most part since they implemented it.

Draft saved Draft deleted