1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cutbacks coming at the Tampa Bay Times?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesportsscribe, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Is there another general columnist?

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many are left in sports?

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

The operative word in that sentence is "paycheck" ... but not in the context you mentioned.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Look for Tom Jones to move into the columnist slot. He'll do a fine job.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's not unusual.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's what I know: In Shelton and John Romano, the Times had a 1-2 punch that was as good as any anywhere. Great at their jobs and great guys. Yes, I'm stumping for two of my friends in the business. But I'm guessing I'm far from alone in that opinion.

I haven't been in touch with John in a while - he's no longer in sports, right? And now Gary is leaving?

Yeesh.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Well played.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Romano has been doing news for a couple of years. Jones will do fine -- I really like his work, but his style is far different from Shelton's.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Tom was a far better beat reporter. One of the best. Too often now he just sounds like a guy at the bar. Not sure it matters. You can't replace Shelton as a first read. He was the voice. But we're quickly reaching the point where the beat reporters are becoming the analysts. Some already are. Topkin is the paper's voice on the Rays, just as Stroud is for the Bucs. Tom will be a distant second on both, but still the guy I trust most on Lightning, NHL.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a very good way to put it. I love his TV stuff and Two Cents, but it's really not going to make you stop and think.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder if the voice of god columnist is not a thing of the past. I think most beat writers at major newspapers are talented enough that they can write a technically good column. And the columns they write on their beats are almost invariably more informative than what the columnist can write. If I was a sports editor in a major market I would give the space a second columnist occupies to my beat writers.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The voice of God columnist is clearly being treated like a thing of the past at some shops (especially with their Godly salaries), but it's a mistake IMO. I agree that a lot of beat writers can write a good column, but they're not in a position to write the fire-and-brimstone "Fire Coach X" piece when it's the guy who they're talking to every day on the beat. Or call out players.

Indianapolis hasn't had a columnist since Kravitz left a month ago and though their beat guys and gals are strong, the overall section is diminished without that one barking voice. And if the ad on the jobs board is to be believed, they want to hire another person in that mold.

Draft saved Draft deleted