1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer-Curator, Alabama Media Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by slappy4428, Sep 17, 2014.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There are three positions open overall -- a part-time design, a split copy editor/designer and a curator/designer. The latter is in sports -- primarily leading the preps effort in print, but will be other sports too, since this is Alabama and it's football season. You'll replace Chris Thomas, who set a high bar for the 12 minutes he worked here before Phil Kaplan stole him back to Knoxville. Prep experience is preferred

I think the print design -- especially in this position -- is more visual than most other papers. We went to a glossy mag for the college preview and it was outstanding.

----

Want to work in a modern, well-equipped design environment? Want to be on the cutting edge of PRINT journalism and design-product evolution? Do traditionally crazy hours of newspaper production shifts make you wish you did something else? Then consider joining Alabama Media Group’s cutting-edge PubHub, where print journalism is taking its next evolutionary step.

We are looking for a visual journalists who can design newspapers, magazines or specialty books. Unlike others, we decide what gets into print and how it appears, so we curate, design and edit every issue with no outside interference. We produce Alabama’s largest newspapers: Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville. We produce Birmingham Magazine and we edit and design specialty books and magazines like our latest College Football Preview magazine – 144 pages of glossy goodness.

Because issues of our revolutionary newspapers only publish on Wednesday, Friday ( a Saturday bulldog) and Sunday, you’ll have to get used to working four 10-hour shifts and having Sunday and Monday off (sometimes Saturday too.)

We create in a renovated building constructed in 1893 with state-of-the-art workspaces and modern work concepts. No corporate pagination studio can touch it.

We’re all located in Birmingham, Ala., selected by Livability.com as one the 10 best cities for downtown living. We have a vibrant music scene, thriving theater district and some of the best restaurants in the South. And if you need to get out of town for a three-day weekend, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans and the Gulf Shores are just a few hours away.

If you have a bachelor’s degree in art, graphic design, graphic communications, journalism or related field or equivalent experience; have the ability to work with direction and constructive feedback; and are proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite (Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Photoshop), and MSOffice , send your resume and portfolio to Kimberly Worner, statewide presentation manager, at kworner@al.com.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The guy who leads this department came up to our place a few months ago to talk about the future of the newspaper. He's quite revolutionary, and he can get you amped up to work in this strange new world.

3. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

I look at it like recruiting in the SEC. I lose commitments, too.

4. If you get this job, you'll have one in Knoxville in a short while. Then you'll get a job in Jackson, Miss. Then you'll get one at Alabama Media Group.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

So THAT'S how Phil has to hire me... I better apply... lol

6. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

All because of Kevin Bacon. I have also hired two writers that worked at Casper. Part of the Jackson trifecta.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This is an incestuous business... lol

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's white smoke on the horizon with this one and the only thing this person has in common with Philka Plan is the number of vowels in their name.

Draft saved Draft deleted