1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior leadership, team players, great students, etc.

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by tgg33, Sep 17, 2014.

1. tgg33

tgg33 New Member

So many of my coaches want to talk about their senior leadership and how special and tight-knit their teams are. That's all fine and dandy - and I don't dismiss team chemistry - but we all know it makes for a pretty boring read.

I couldn't find a thread on this, but what are some ways to parlay off this vague topic and into a more focused angle?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ask the coach if he's sleeping with any of the male or female cheerleaders.

3. tgg33

tgg33 New Member

Sensitive subject here lately...

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Don't let the coach control the interview. Plain and simple. They'll all give you the song and dance about "it's a team game," etc. Get them back on the topic you want to talk about. Head into the interview already knowing the team and it's real story lines so you can control it and focus them in on specific areas of the team/game. Micromanage it, keep it on point. If they won't give you anything meaningful, keep their impact on the story to a minimum and talk to a player. The player may even have the "Team Game" spiel down, but likely will be easier to pull off of.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Must cover Destrehan High School.

Draft saved Draft deleted