1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a line from The Great Gatsby or a New York Times profile of Lena Dunham?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Sep 13, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I root for them all to get hit by a truck. :D

I'm sure the looks issue is valid, but I think a lot of people's problem with her is that she is being held up as a spokesperson of her generation, and it's a generation that a lot of us think are a bunch of lazy, self-entitled douches.

I'm sure the generation older than us thought the same thing about whoever we were crowing about 20 years ago.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Allson Williams is a preppy from CT - No thanks, she looks like she'll be driving
    a Suburban in 2 years with a cell phone in her ear on way to her Pilates class.

I would contend that Dunham has the same problem as soccer. Too many people telling us we should like her and if we don't we are unenlightened louts.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

" ... frumpy, rude, self-absorbed and frequently gross ... "

In other words (and maybe with slight variations but the point still remains), the 20-something Roseanne Connor of cable TV.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And by "Connor" I mean Barr if we're using real people or character names.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I could root for the Connor family a lot more easily than I could anyone on Girls.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Or even worse, old and out of touch. :D

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or the hetero version of Rosie O'Donnell

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I always assumed Lena Dunham's shtick is some kind of performance art, 'be the stereotypical, self-absorbed millennial,' which may be why I enjoy her and Girls so much.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's funny.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yup. It's unclear to me why this isn't obvious to people. I don't think I care enough to read her book, but it would be interesting to read it and see if there is significant self awareness. I would wager yes.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I watched the first two seasons of Girls. It was really inconsistent. I loved some episodes and was completely bored during others. Once season three came around, there was no real inertia for me to continue with it. I agree with DD that I think part of the hate is because of how she looks.

Another big part of it, at least to me, is that she's similar to Tim Tebow - a lot of the hate is because of how many people talk so glowingly about them. That type of adoration creates its own backlash, especially when the adoration doesn't seem to be wholly deserved.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Agree, and I think the backlash cycle of hating things because others like them or praise them too much is something most of us fall into at some point, but it's probably the most useless emotion. People should like what they like and not give a fuck what others think.

Almost more fascinating to me is the backlash to the backlash. I feel this way about Jeter at times. The Black Keys. Jimmy Johnson. Peyton.

Draft saved Draft deleted