1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson Indicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Leave it to Bill Rhoden to introduce race but poor Roger just can't get it right:

On Tuesday, a group called the Black Women’s Roundtable sent an open letter to Goodell requesting a meeting and questioning why women of color — and especially black women — had been left out of the leadership group that he had established.

“There are cultural issues that impact how you even address violence against women,” said Melanie L. Campbell, the group’s president. “It’s true that domestic abuse affects many players, but right now the people affected immediately are African-American males. Black women are being impacted, and black children are being impacted.”

She added: “Maybe this wasn’t an oversight. Maybe the N.F.L. didn’t think a diverse group of women was needed to lead this initiative.”

The N.F.L. responded to my inquiry by pointing out that several black staff members would have a role with the group, but it’s worth noting that none were among the four appointed to lead it

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/18/sports/football/fluctuations-in-approach-to-discipline-put-nfl-on-shaky-ground.html?ref=sports&_r=2

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Remember when Richard Sherman was the Biggest Thug Ever?

Good times, good times.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

#ReadyForCondi

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Roger will address the media at 3 pm. I've read he's determined to make the NFL a leader on the domestic violence issue.

5. LongTimeListener

Think of Jerry Jones laughing his ass off when you read this -- 86 percent say they're watching the same amount of football as ever, and only 29 percent say Goodell should be gone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/nfl-controversy/exclusive-america-shrugs-scandals-plaguing-nfl-nbc-poll-reveals-n206676

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Next person to quote Hannity should be banned for life from operating electrical equipment. Being left handed is not normal if normal means different from the average. Being Gay is not normal for the same reason. Except its a lot easier to teach a lefty to play as a righty than it is to teach a heterosexual to play as a homosexual. As a lefty in all things sports I know its very very hard to play anything like righty, especially golf and hitting a baseball. But as a heterosexual I will tell you it would be impossible to teach me to be gay. You are born gay. You can choose to be sexual with the same gender, but thats not being gay.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And here I thought that the NFL was already a leader on domestic violence...

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Who knew LTL was a cat person?

You still want to convict the guy based on what others have done. The sad part is that you don't even care how wrong that is.

To be clear, I'm NOT saying he is innocent. If the 49ers took action now, it would be about public perception, not doing the right thing and even you know it. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with the 49ers waiting to find out one way or another before punishing the guy. The case is not comparable to Rice, Peterson or Hardy. We've seen video of what Rice did. Hardy was convicted by a judge. We have pictures of injuries to the child and an admission from Peterson that he hit his son. McDonald may very well turn out to be guilty. What's wrong with finding that out first?

9. outofplace

Well played

10. LongTimeListener

So Viz, why don't you tell us why the police would break their vow of silence about the May 24 incident but not the Aug. 31 incident. It's a law enforcement group that has always had a cozy and very questionable relationship with the team.

You don't know how NFL teams work. Read the story about the Ravens today. That's how they all do it -- it's the same blueprint beginning with the "security officials" who work with law enforcement to bottle this shit up.

11. outofplace

Got anything to back that up, or are you just speaking out of the wrong end of your anatomy again? Don't bother. We both know the real answer is the latter.

And please spare us the suggestion that you know something about how all this works. You don't. You're guessing.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: LTL is Peter King, the ultimate Insider. I don't understand the objections to your point, either. Seems pretty reasonable to have no objection to the 49ers sitting McDonald based on public sentiment, but they are rightly willing to let the case play out. His case IS different from the others, and it doesn't seem clear the he will even be charged. If any photos/recordings/video come out, then all bets are off. But until then, have to see what the authorities say.

Draft saved Draft deleted