1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson Indicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why would I assume you looked at the pictures?

Based on the arguments people are making, it's hard to believe.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The police report also includes text messages between Peterson and the boy’s mother. First he texted to her: “You will be mad at me about his leg.” Later, he texted: “He got about five more pops than normal. He didn’t drop one tear! … He’s tough as nails.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-abuse/

EDIT: Pictures removed.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is in case anyone had not looked at the pictures.

(Apologize in advance for any unintended snark there, Machine Head. It was just such perfect timing.)

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How many 4 year olds does Peterson have? How many live with him?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Raddison Hotel suspends sponsorship with Vikings.

And Peterson whipped that boy like he owned him

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I'm curious as to how young you think is reasonable for this type of punishment. You are fine with it being done to a 4 year old, so is it OK for a 3 year old? A 2 year old? At what point does this become wrong to you? Is 1 year old OK as well? Is it OK to whip an infant until it bleeds?

What AP did was wrong. Always. Period. That isn't closed minded, it is being a civilized decent human being.

Cowards whip little boys. Try whipping someone that could hit you back and see how brave you are.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Stop saying "you're fine with it." I'm not fine with any of this, so trying to personalize it is not going to do you any good at all.

But you're presenting the exact thing I'm talking about. You can't present any grey into what someone else feels is a black-and-white issue anymore. You get shouted down.

Yes. That is the definition of closed-minded.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is clear-cut abuse, and he will presumably agree to some plea agreement. Good intentions are immaterial.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In my moderately sized southern city the public schools here still paddle students for misbehavior.

Since people had such problems with "switch." A paddle is a long, flat board similar to a cricket bat. Students as young as four can be paddled or hit with a board, if you prefer, and some students are known to have had bruises and broken skin from the punishment.

Since the point of the punishment is to inflict pain, bruises are considered a satisfactory result. Broken skin is more problematic and parents have raised concerns but paddlings are still punishment.

So, are the schools here child abusers?

I was also paddled a junior high student in the early 80s but not spanked or belt whipped by a parent.

Was Mr. Crossno a coward for paddling me as a 10 year old sixth grade student? For leaving me with a bruise on my lower back when he missed my butt?

I'm just curious. I don't have kids, so I don't have a dog in this hunt but
    The outrage machine seems to be set to max on this and could very well be a situation that needs some nuance.

10. Machine Head

Ever had someone take a switch to your balls?

No?

Peterson's son did.

How about you go find someone to help you out with that and report back to us. I'm sure there is some nuance to be found.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Got swatted as a kid. Lashed with a belt by my dad. Likely deserved it because I was a troublesome kid.

Still ...

13 lashes. The boy is 4. He had defensive wounds. From getting hit by an NFL player with a switch.

If you are defending this you are insane. If you're the Vikings, you're a bunch of morons.

ENOUGH. From everyone.

12. Machine Head

I was just answering the above.

I'm off the thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted