1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baby, you can drive my car ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Sep 11, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Shit. 175K on a 95? My 05 Honda Element is pushing 150K. A/C starting to go on the fritz, but man do I love that car. Wish I could afford to get a new one. First new car I ever bought, and the best decision I've ever made in a car dealership.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

2004 Pontiac PT Cruiser, bought in 2010. Has 104+ K miles and still going.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We bought it used in 2003 with about 54,000 miles on it. Drove it as our primary car for a few years, then my wife bought a 2005 Camry (also used) before we moved out here in 2009.

I mainly just drive the 1995 Camry to work (I'm on the copy desk), for errands around town, and on the occasional trip around the region ... nothing more than 100 miles one-way.

Our photogs, on the other hand, burn through used cars like crazy.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara two door. Only car I have bought brand new. Has 147,500 KM (91,300 miles) on it. Kind of angry with it right now because I've had to dump about abut $3,500 into it in the last few months for new brakes (complete replacement), tires, windshield and a few other smaller things -- the joys of an out of province safety inspection. That's on top of really shitty mileage, about 14 mpg on a good day in the city, 19 on the highway going down hill with a stiff tail wind. 11 months left and it's paid off -- had to get it refinanced at one point due to employment issues. Been a lot of fun especially when I lived on Vancouver Island for 2 1/2 years, very few problems until recently, but every time something needs to be fixed it's an arm and a leg.

Especially with gas prices thinking about going to a car for my next vehicle, a Toyota or Honda or VW. Though with the regularity that I move, the ability to tow a small trailer is hugely important, so maybe a small pickup. I'm also 6'4", so a small compact doesn't really work for me. Throw in the Alberta winters and the 6 months of snow, and 4x4 capabilities are quite nice to have. plus it's nice to feel like I won't be squished by a passing semi of which there are many on our roads.

Just coming out of a relationship, but she drove an early/mid 2000s Ford Explorer, and she rolled over 400,000 kms (about 250,000 miles) a few weeks ago. Original engine, one rebuilt transmission.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, because posting on a message board for a few minutes proves I am not busy.
    Please, come save me from myself.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The car or your wife?

2008 Sentra, 70,000, can hit 100 MPH

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wonder how a certain someone's Neon is doing?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

All Neons are doing bad.

Unless they're doing worse.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

2006 Scion TC about to hit 80K. Love that car.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

'99 Mazda Miata, about 115k on the clock. Daily driver, and I adore it. It makes going to the grocery store fun, and a twisty road in October is close to heaven.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

08 Town and Country Minivan. It is the last Chrysler I will ever own as while the vehicle is super practical, the build quality is ass. 4 or 5 brake jobs over 170K, just general flimsiness on many other things. Only thing going forward it is that it is paid off and has satellite radio.

We bought my wife a new Pathfinder in January, great vehicle. Gotta love 0% financing.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2006 Jeep Wrangler, bought new and I've got 55,000 on it now. The benefits of living less than two miles from the office. I put more dirt miles than highway miles on it each year.

The wife's 2010 Dodge Journey has 50,000-ish on it. It's what we take when we travel, obviously.

Draft saved Draft deleted