1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official running NFL Week 2 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Sep 10, 2014.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not over in Denver. But this cartoon from last week is apt for this week too.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

If there was any doubt Marty Morningwheg is a dumbass, he runs down the sidelines calling a timeout (which as a coordinator he cannot do), the refs give it to the Jets anyway right as the ball is snapped and Geno Smith throws a touchdown pass, which of course is wiped out by the timeout. Jets later turn it over on downs.
    Once the man won the coin toss at the start of OT and chose to take the wind, that should have been it for him as a coach, but no, more teams kept giving him a chance.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Would he be any smarter if Geno had thrown a pick?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now there's a good debate, but that's way different from the Browns one you mentioned that happened in the third quarter.

But look how things worked out -- the Chiefs ended up down 24-17 and needing only a TD and PAT. What if it was 24-16 and they got the TD but missed the 2XP?

5. LongTimeListener

Richard Sherman, not so chatty. From San Diego U-T writers:

Michael Gehlken @UTgehlken · 38m
    Same word from multiple Chargers in reference to Richard Sherman: "Exposed." Sherman did not speak with media after game.

Stefanie Loh @StefanieLoh · 57m
    Chargers' Keenan @Keenan13Allen Allen on Richard Sherman: "He's just a normal guy. We're gonna go @ him. He's not really a shut down corner"

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

There's always risk that things turn out in a way where taking the 1 makes sense, unless you're down 2 with 0 seconds left in the game. But there's more times than that when going for 2 makes sense.
    Up 5 in the second half (Browns) I think you should ALWAYS go for 2. It'll work out more often than it doesn't.
    Same for the Chiefs situation, down 5 in the 4th quarter. Take the two, make it a 3-point game if you make it. If you miss, and you find yourself down 8, then it's still a one-score game (and really you're looking at, in that situation, what are the odds we can make at least one 2-point in two tries - either the first or second. And that's fairly high to get 1 conversions in 2 chances).

7. LongTimeListener

In the Browns question, I'm pretty sure the stat guys who have looked at the go-for-two question come down firmly on the "not too early" side. There's way more negative than positive associated with it. When you're talking about each team getting three more possessions, especially in today's NFL, you just can't calculate based on the score staying where it is.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ding, ding, ding. There were seven-plus minutes left. Go for two when you ABSOLUTELY have to.

9. LongTimeListener

I see Kaepernick has the same clock management skills he has always had. He took a fourth-down play all the way down to :03 on the play clock and 2:07 on the game -- meaning if the 49ers didn't convert, they would have had only two stoppages left instead of four to get the ball back.

They converted that ... and then on third-and-12 he took a delay of game. So even with a decent gain after that, the final play was fourth-and-9.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What I especially don't understand is how Kaepernick has his weekly struggles with the play clock. He still can't hit his second receiving option with any consistency and burns FAR too many timeouts.

For all of the brilliance we see on the highlights, we don't see the guy burning timeouts needlessly because he can't read the defense.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He's too stupid to lead them to a Super Bowl win. I don't think he's coachable. I don't care how talented he is, you can't win a title if your QB can't get the play off.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I wonder if he is friends with Michael Vick?

Draft saved Draft deleted