1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports reporters -- Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 10, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Tennessean is seeking an aggressive sports reporter to cover high school sports in Williamson County. This reporter will plan and execute daily multimedia stories/content about high school sports news, players, performances, topics and trends in Williamson County. This person will serve as the #1 most trusted expert when it comes to high school sports news in Williamson County. As such, this reporter will be expected to engage with readers through platforms such as social media, digital chats, events, comments, etc., about high school sports news in Williamson County.

Requirements:
    Knowledge and skills required include exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing); self-motivation and self-direction; photo and video skills; advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space; ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment; and effective time management skills. A Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or the equivalent in experience and education is required. An internship or previous experience in the job duties described above is preferred.

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=37861&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=QP%2bobyx6budVuzQav9p1QY1iB68%3d

The Tennessean is seeking an aggressive sports reporter to cover high school sports in Davidson County. This reporter will plan and execute daily multimedia stories/content about high school sports news, players, performances, topics and trends in Davidson County. This person will serve as the #1 most trusted expert when it comes to high school sports news in Davidson County. As such, this reporter will be expected to engage with readers through platforms such as social media, digital chats, events, comments, etc., about high school sports news in Davidson County.

Requirements:
    Knowledge and skills required include exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing); self-motivation and self-direction; photo and video skills; advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space; ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment; and effective time management skills. A Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or the equivalent in experience and education is required. An internship or previous experience in the job duties described above is preferred.

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=37856&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=QP%2bobyx6budVuzQav9p1QY1iB68%3d

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

www.bitly.com is a wonderful resource.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not to belittle any job opportunity, and if you are inclined to apply, by all means do so. Just think long and hard about what this newspaper just did to its newsroom before you take a job there. Go in with eyes open.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

You mean their more "engaging" and "responsive" newsroom?

5. novelist_wannabe

That'd be the one.

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I think about a job like this and the one for the UT football writer position and wonder if this would be worth moving my family a long distance for.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

They had two great prep writers. Fired them both.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm more curious about who makes the hire if there's no sports editor? HR?

9. novelist_wannabe

How about ...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2014/08/05/tennessean-unveils-bold-new-structure-for-newsroom/13622987/

10. AMM333

AMM333 New Member

So some advice please. I know Gannett doesn't have the best reputation right now in the industry. Is this job even worth applying for? Is it even a full time gig? After seeing the last few posts I googled some info on the recent history. Anyone have any inside info on what this "new newsroom" means in terms of long term job security

11. Ibot1947

Ibot1947 New Member

The easy answer to your question: No. Do not apply for this job.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Feel free to PM me. I'm not in Nashville, but I can help you out. For the most part, reporter jobs have been pretty safe. If you're doing the things you should as a reporter today, anyway, tackling the digital stuff with no problem, there shouldn't be a lot to fear.

Draft saved Draft deleted