1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ray Rice Elevator Video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

By oop's statement we should wait to find out if the guy is guilty. We still don't know that.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Love to be a fly on the wall for that. I'm guessing we won't find out much of what is actually said, right?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Kessler doing the questioning, too. Bet he'll go soft.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Definitely trolling. That or you have no understanding at all of what I have been saying all this time, which is your failure, not mine.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe she just fell into a door, maybe OJ was framed. Either way it does not matter, he is being paid by his employer, his employer can do what they want. If he was suspended the PA would step in as they should.

Maybe you think Aaron Hernandez should be your starting tight end this weekend.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You said guilty, Hernandez has not been found guilty. He could have been framed like Ryan Braun was.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As you noted, OOP, the Aaron Hernandez case is very different. The Patriots had wrapped minicamp before the police searches, etc., began to happen, so there weren't any team activities from which they could suspend him with pay. We can only wonder how the Patriots might have handled it if police first connected him to Lloyd's murder on a Thursday during Week 3 of the regular season, searched his house Friday, etc. Police only listed him as a "person of interest" in the early going, not as a suspect.

Out of curiosity, under the same set of circumstances, except with the crime occurring midseason, would you have advocated for the Patriots to allow Hernandez to continue to play while he was a person of interest, or suspend him with pay?

(This kind of steers the conversation away from the relevant topic, but I'm just curious.)

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what happens if he gets reinstated.

I would be stunned if anyone brought him in for a workout much less sign him.

10. outofplace

Oh, good. Two trolls. I guess you also think that the NHL taking action against a hockey player facing an accusation is the exact same thing as an NFL team cutting a player the day he is charged with murder, too.

Y'all are so desperate for a gotcha that you are willing to toss all logic and reason out the window.

11. outofplace

Meh. This place is dominated by tangents. What's one more?

The short answer is I would not have advocated either way, but I would have defended the Patriots' right to wait until there was more than an accusation if they chose to take that route. I am uncomfortable with dealing out punishments before there is proof, but we're talking about ending a human being's life. If team management feels like they have to distance themselves from that player even before they know if he is guilty or not, I get it.

To be clear, and this is among the many things LTL and JC don't understand, I never said teams have to wait for the legal process to play out to take action when a player is in trouble. I said they have a right to. I said I would have absolutely understood if the 49ers had suspended McDonald with pay, but I defended their right to wait on the investigation to be complete and even for the case to go to court.

I also think there is a very important distinction between a team taking action and a league doing so. Teams can cut players whenever they want. Leagues have to deal with a CBA, a players' union and precedent.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree with damn near every word of this post. The hell? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted