1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ray Rice Elevator Video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No, it has nothing to do with whether the owner chooses to sit the player or not. I was just pointing out that he IS being punished. The fact that he is being paid doesn't mean it's all fine and dandy. I certainly don't disagree with him being benched. But I do believe in due process, and unless the team's investigation into it turns up something damning, he should be able to play.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Punishing somebody before finding out if they are guilty or not is the right thing to do? No. Definitely not.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Free Aaron Hernandez!

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, this is why there SHOULD be room for sitting someone down without due process. Which I was all for the Ray Rice punishment. What he did was so vicious that he did not deserve benefit of doubt. Though I thought he should be paid until the facts came out or he was convicted. I know domestic violence is a major issue and can't be tolerated, but domestic disputes happen all the time, and I don't think the accusation automatically merits a suspension, paid or not. It has to be a case by case decision.

5. outofplace

Still waiting to hear what is lost by waiting to punish the player until there is at least some evidence of guilt beyond just an accusation. Still haven't heard a good answer for that yet.

Of course, we have plenty of folks on this site who assume everybody is guilty until proven innocent.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And if this is the case, the guy should have to sit indefinitely? As I said, case by case.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/11745732/attorney-says-slava-voynov-los-angeles-kings-hit-girlfriend

7. outofplace

If I understand the timeline correctly, Aaron Hernandez was released by the Patriots the day he was taken into custody and charged with murder. Evidence related to the case had been made public before that.

Not the same crime. Not the same circumstances. But hey, misrepresent reality if it makes ya happy.

8. LongTimeListener

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Arbitrator rules Goodell must testify at Rice's appeal.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11747355/roger-goodell-being-forced-testify-ray-rice-appeal-hearing

This could be good.

10. outofplace

And NOTHING I said counters that. Never said you had to wait for a conviction.

I am saying that your comparison of these domestic violence cases to Hernandez is faulty and misleading.

11. LongTimeListener

Finding out if somebody is guilty does not mean a conviction? Oh, you and the word games you play.

I have to go find every civics teacher in America. They're doing it wrong.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Or just plain trolling. FWIW, it was 9 days from the time Odin Lloyd was killed and Hernandez was released. AH's house was searched on June 18, and he was arrested and released on June 26. Of course, he might have been cut/suspended more quickly had it not been the offseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted