1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steven Sotloff Beheaded by ISIS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

So again: No suggestions as to what our strategy should be?

3. 3_Octave_Fart

I have suggested it elsewhere on this board.
    A powerful system of spies, infiltrators and informants.
    This organization likes to recruit losers, drifters, outsiders.
    How about you offer one instead of these weak rhetorical games.

4. Justin_Rice

I don't have any weak rhetorical games. ... but you don't see me crying, "OMG! We don't have a strategy!"

I recognize it's a difficult problem and - like most real-world problems can't be broken down into "You're with us or you're against us" bumper stickers.

Your suggestion seems like it could help play a great part in dismantling ISIS. I sincerely hope you didn't sprain a thumb offering it up.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

Goodbye, Rice. Have a nice day.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Last I looked, 3OF didn't run for president saying he had all the answers. Obama, on the other hand ...

7. Justin_Rice

Fine.

I'll take any suggestions from leading Republicans on how to stop ISIS. You could post those ...

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not bailing on the country three years ago and creating a vacuum for ISIS to fill would have been a good start.

9. Justin_Rice

The Status of Forces agreement signed by the previous administration set the date for withdraw, and the Iraqis made it clear they would not grant immunity to our soldiers.

I know ... I know ... he should have forced the Iraqis to sign a new deal. Because even though the previous administration couldn't force the Iraqis to agree to an acceptable SOFA, Obama shoulda been able to.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Is there anything you won't reflexively defend until at least Jan 2017?

The person held up as the leader of the free world has to know better than to publicly state there is no strategy. Just has to. This ISIS situation is some scary shit. The President of the United States can't respond to big-picture questions with, "I don't know?" How are citizens supposed to have confidence in a leader like that?

This is the presidential equivalent of a child saying, "Dad, I'm scared," and the parent responding, "Well, what do you want me to do about it?"

11. Justin_Rice

Are you disagreeing the status of forces agreement setting the date of withdraw was signed by the previous administration.

This isn't a matter of opinion or defending anyone; it's simply a matter of fact.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're funny.

For every crisis, you ask, "what would you like us to do now?"

Well, if you didn't go to class for an entire semester, didn't study, and didn't buy the text book, I would be hard pressed to give you a strategy for acing your final if you waited until the night before the final to ask me for advice.

We are dealing with the consequences of a President who has spent 6 years refusing to lead, and who has projected weakness.

And let's not be confused. That was the strategy. Our President believes/believed that it was our leadership and involvement in world affairs that was at the heart of many of the problems around the world. He thought that if we withdrew, things would be better.

They're not, and we have no strategy to reengage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.