1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rams release Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can we please stop with the comparisons of Sam's college statistics to Clowney's? There are a number of reasons that make the comparison invalid. Different opposition is one. Opposing offenses also focused on Clowney while Sam had teammates who were better players, drawing the double-teams away from him.

More importantly, Clowney is a little bigger and a LOT faster than Sam. That is why he was drafted so high while Sam is on a practice squad. It isn't just about the players they are now. It is about what teams project them to be and Clowney's upside is a hell of a lot higher than Sam's.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lesson, Dad. I'll take it under advisement.

3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

So because you went to a D-II school and didn't get drafted, it means you aren't very good?

Seriously, you know there's plenty of stories of players who didn't get drafted for one reason or another and went on to have fine NFL careers... just as there are plenty of first-round picks who had nothing to show for it.

Who gets drafted and who doesn't gets based on scouting reports, which as we all know, are far from the perfect tool of predicting success in the NFL.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or you can just keep on making the same shitty comparison.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That was actually an earnest, "Is he?" Sorry for the ambiguity. I was posting in a hurry.

I wouldn't say that I've thought he's a shitty player for some time. What happened is that on Day 1, when he made the announcement, I countered the argument by YankeeFan that, in January, guys never have a 3-7 round range. I spent four years having to follow the draft stock of players pretty closely, and that wasn't at all unusual.

I hope he makes it. I do think people overreacted a little to the fact that it took him longer than five minutes to land on a practice squad.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

DISREGARD IT

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Quick correction: Tyrone Crawford was certainly not acquired in the past 48 hours. This is his third season with the Cowboys. He played every game as a rookie in 2012 and sat out all of last season with a torn Achilles tendon. They've been counting on him to be a big-time player for the past two years.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Week 3 is a terrific estimate. Guess who Dallas plays that week.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I was thinking of Jack Crawford, who was just signed from Oakland and who I forgot to include. Jack Crawford gives them 5 ends for Sunday, two of whom just joined the team and one of whom is battling a shoulder injury.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't think it's unfair to categorize Sam as a gay, black version of Mike Mamula, without the tantalizing combine performance.

In hindsight, Mamula was drafted at least four rounds too high, and had he given a Sam-like combine performance, he might have fallen even further, too.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Blue font? (I hope)

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

We don't know he's a good NFL pass-rusher. We also don't know that he's not.

He had three sacks in the preseason, one against a backup QB notorious for holding on to the ball too long and a rookie backup who likes to run.

Dallas is a good landing spot for him because the Cowboys' defense sucks and he might get a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.