1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIU doesn't issue Miami Herald beat writer a credential

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'd like to know exactly what the writer did to piss off FIU.

Not that FIU wasn't wrong, but ... what happened?

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I hope our guy had the express written consent of the TV people because any rebroadcast, reproduction, or other use of the pictures and accounts of the game without....
    [Yes, that was sarcasm.]

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"See that ship over there? They're rebroadcasting Major League Baseball with implied oral consent, not express written consent - or so the legend goes."

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Either they're worth covering and you do it access or not, or they're not worth covering ... and you don't cover them.

It's really no more difficult than that.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're outside the vision of your cubicle, so how would you know?

6. jr/shotglass

Don't be snide because you made a questionable point. It's distasteful.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's funny.

But really, everything a paper covers is on an effort/reward scale. FIU is barely worth covering as it is, but it's worth covering. It's just over that line. Make it difficult and it goes under that line.

There is no advantage to the Herald in moving heaven and earth to get a useless game story that includes no stats and no quotes. For The U, they'd be stuck doing that in a situation like this. For FIU, they don't have to.

This goes on at papers all over the country every night. The number of college basketball games that get covered -- because of legacy thinking or good relationships or whatever -- is far far greater than the number of college basketball games that deserve coverage on the basis of readership.

8. jr/shotglass

If you say so. And if it keeps you from channeling Fartboy.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

As a matter of principle, I'm supportive of the newspaper's stance on this, but Riptide's question is what I've wanted to know since this began.

With regard to FIU's view of the reporter, this is obviously personal. Something started it, or exacerbated it, or was a final straw. What was it?

If I knew, I wouldn't necessarily be unilaterally supportive.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

FIU's statement is obviously unclear.

Short of some kind of creepy behavior/sexual harassment, I don't know what he could have done to make them think he should be denied a press pass.

If he did something grossly inappropriate, they should make that clear.

They didn't, so I assume he didn't.

If they just don't like his coverage, they should go fuck themselves, and should never have put out that statement.

11. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

We have a solution, via the Herald:

Full story: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/09/02/4323553/fiu-provides-credential-for-miami.html

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure that, "We've always done it this way," is a great argument in an era of limited resources.

Draft saved Draft deleted