1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIU doesn't issue Miami Herald beat writer a credential

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was going to elaborate on that point before stepping back and checking the temperature of the room.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, everyone seemed to miss that relevant line from daytonadan's post.

No worries about copyright issues on those quotes.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This write-from-the-stands thing can be done. Of course it can be done. But that's not what this situation is and trying to make it into that is a mistake.

This situation is: <i>This man will not be talking to an athlete or a coach at this school.</i> Why, I dunno. I found Neal's Herald blog to be a little digressive/obsessive for my taste but you can't say he doesn't know the program, or that someone else would put this much time into it.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports/

Ron Turner's deep into the back nine of his career. God only knows how he talked his way into this job. Pro-style offenses at shitty D-I schools almost never work.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. If you don't attribute where it came from, you're giving the false impression you were there.

5. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

I'm glad you posted his blog. It's.....weird. I know as a reader I wouldn't be particularly pleased with that kind of content from my beat writer. There is some value in there, sure, but there are a lot of weird asides mixed in.

Comments like "Which means it's about as worthless as a tailor in a nudist colony."

"Two years ago, different players, different school, still it's another reason this game's scarier than an IRS vampire to the books."

"But that's one black man's opinion. I could be wrong."

I've heard from a few people he's an interesting dude and that's probably putting it nicely.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Poynter writer is absolutely dead-on.

Get the story. Even when others make it difficult.

In no shape, form, or fashion should coverage decisions, to the extent feasible logistically, be dictated by access. If it was worth covering with access, it was worth covering without access. Deciding otherwise is simply toy department bullshit.

I'm also the person who has floated on here the idea that sports departments consider surrendering access entirely at this point.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But there's no "story" to "get." It's doing FIU a favor to cover their games. It's really not even worth the fight for the Herald.

If The U decides they don't like the beat writer, then it's the Herald's problem. But this isn't.

8. Dick Whitman

Well, that's the first problem then.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't have a huge problem with that portion of it. It's the "community service" aspect of the paper, and that is a large school that's probably the #1 alma mater for people in the readership. Having a full-time beat writer does seem excessive.

FIU dictating the terms to such a degree is where the Herald is right to jump off.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

OK, so where we're at now, if you're the Herald, do you meet with the FIU people in the next few days or tell them to get fucked because they don't get to dictate who you choose to cover their beat?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

For big enough properties, with in-house news organizations, that don't want negative press, don't you think this is the inevitable end?

12. Dick Whitman

One can certainly dream.

Draft saved Draft deleted