1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bonanza

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 27, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That was "Gunsmoke."

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

3. joe

joe Active Member

I think Mom was a Big Valley watcher. We were definitely a Gunsmoke family, and it seems like we watched The Rifleman, too. There's no way you could launch new shows with those last two titles today.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

One character on Bonanza that didn't get much run was Hoss' evil twin, Festus.

In Season 4 he shows up, having been run out of Dodge City and his sidekick gig by that ornery old Doc.

He gets in a scrap with a former Dodger and is run out of Bonanza Land, drifting to New York City where he changes his name to McCloud and become a lawman.

The former Dodger is kicked out of the Army, his sword broken and he is Branded, scorned as the one who ran, even though he won the fight with Festus. Sometimes, life isn't fair is the lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PWxncMYRws

5. Dan Blocker looked like a fun guy to have several beers with.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Always enjoyed the episode where Little Joe brought home a horseless carriage and Hoss was pissed because he knew he couldn't fit.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think I kind of remember being in that peripheral walkway the Bonanza restaurants had leading up to the counter when I was 4 or so.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Bonanza restaurants were basically carbon copies of Ponderosa Steak Houses if I remember correctly. Is that irony or coincidence?

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've been to the Ponderosa set where the show was filmed. It's less than 15 minutes from Tahoe.

10. How is that post about The Wire? Did it die of loneliness?

Buck delenda est

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think they were/are owned by the same company and the name varies by locale/region, in a Checkers/Rally's or Hardee's/Carl's Jr. sort of way.

Draft saved Draft deleted