1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Times' newsroom set to ring with the sounds of typewriters once more

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 27, 2014.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

As inane as this might be, you always snapped to attention when the bells on the teletype machine started ringing.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What happened to the tried and true approach of chaining reporters to their desks?

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I sometimes watch old movies/TV shows that take place in a newsroom and think "Man, I would have loved working in those days."

I started my (college) career right as the old technologies were going out of style. I believe my college paper got its macs with Quark the spring before I arrived in the fall.

4. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

In the early days of pagination (around 1990), our Harris terminal keyboards had a rocker switch in back that turned on a click that you would then hear with every keystroke. The corporate trainer told me that "feature" was requested by newsroom employees who said they had a hard time concentrating without noise as they worked.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

I don't know, I think this is brilliant. In fact, if newspapers are going to go retro, I say go all the way. Don't stop at typewriters. Restore all the space they've cut back on over the years. Fill all the positions that were slashed. Start giving staffers raises again and bring back all the benefits that got stripped from them. One day, it's the sound of typewriters filling newsrooms. The next it's newspapers looking like, well, newspapers.

Draft saved Draft deleted