1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State Fair Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cjericho, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Kentucky's is pretty nice. Its around Louisville.

I love fairs. Love 'em!
    They are kind of pricey, but I can people watch all day.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd like to go to one of the giant Midwestern fairs just for the experience. The Big E, which combines the New England states, is coming up in mid-September in W. Springfield, Mass. That's about as big as it gets on the East Coast. Never been to the New York fair.

I like the county fairs, too. The Champlain Valley Fair, is the biggest in Vermont. My personal favorite is the Orleans County (Vt.) fair on demolition derby day. The Durham Fair in Connecticut is fun, too.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

East Coast fairs are amateur hour from my experience

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Now:

http://www.mnstatefair.org/

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas has the main State Fair in Dallas. Before that there is the North Texas State Fair in Denton, which is like the month-long happy hour before Daytona.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

some friends who live in Michigan tell me the Lower Peninsula State Fair is back after a several year hiatus. It is evidently a three-day affair in a parking lot with no musical acts at all so I guess even calling it a glorified county fair would be way too kind.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Long ago I worked in Sedalia, MO, site of the Missouri State Fair. All of us in the newsroom had free passes to get into the fair and park, so we hit it pretty hard while the fair ran its course. Pretty much stayed in the Bud tent, getting drunk and listening to acts trying to be the next George Strait.

Rode the sky coaster a few times, but I stayed away from the midway.

Went to the Oregon state fair when I lived in the PNW. Paid 50 cents to see "the world's biggest hog." Poor fucker just laid on his side, suffering from the heat.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I got to see Kate's teats for free last night.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Bloomsburg Fair is great. I've driven two hours for that a number of times. A foodie's delight.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Have to get there. went to watch buddy play football at bloom years ago and stopped at a few of the watering holes. kind of reminded me of the bar tom cruise's dad drank at in all the right moves.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Was it bigger than Hogzilla?

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I learned, hanging out in the North Woods, that Wisconsin has not one, not two, but THREE state fairs.

-- The Wisconsin State Fair, in West Allis (where the Milwaukee Indycar race is held)
    -- The Central Wisconsin State Fair, in Marshfield
    -- The Northern Wisconsin State Fair, in Chippewa Falls, which is only a 90-minute drive from Marshfield.

Draft saved Draft deleted