1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Turns out losing 2 of their 3 DLs killed the Badgers.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow. That is fast.

Obviously an LSU win would mean SEC domination remains intact, and any later defeats of the Badgers (by Michigan State, for instance) are irrelevant because Wisconsin will be considered mediocre.

#Vortex

--But really, how do you not expect a fake field goal against LSU?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Playing six in the box on defense against a six-man offensive line - stuff like this tends to happen.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If the last 10 years have taught us anything, it's that you count Les Miles out at your own peril.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I had no idea Wisconsin had hired Dave Wannstedt to be their head coach.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

They're gonna struggle against video game offenses until they break down and recruit some video game defenders.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It funny, seeing Wannstedt on FS1 I figured Ditka got some work done.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Washington beat Hawaii by a point? Must be Sarkisian's fault ...

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/nebraska-wr-jordan-westerkamp-makes-insane-behind-the-back-catch--video-221102351.html

Didn't see this posted earlier, but this behind-the-back catch by Nebraska's Jordan Westerkamp is worth a look.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That Westerkamp catch was worth about 17 replays on the DVR.

Surprised by this first week and not just because I pretty got every game wrong. What stuck out were the close games this opening year - WASH/HAW, UCLA/VIR come to mind off the top of my head. Not as many blowouts as I anticipated.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, no. The slogan has to have some basis in reality.

EDIT: Somebody mentioned that Iowa needs to stop scheduling UNI, problem is they can't. Iowa and ISU have basically been forced by the state legislature to alternate playing UNI so the Panthers get one of them every year.

Though, now that I look at the future schedules, Iowa State is playing them the next two years.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Screengrab of Iowa State's coach during its home beatdown by North Dakota State. Even the ballboy or headset wire kid behind him is giving him a "Who the fuck is this clown?" look ...

[​IMG]

I know North Dakota State is good, and I know Iowa State is not, but if you're Paul Rhoads, entering your sixth year and are 27-37 overall, 14-29 in the Big 12, the only winning season you had was your first (at 7-6) and have endured truck stop rapings the last 2 seasons against FCS teams, I don't know how you can survive this.

If I was one of the half-dozen Iowa State fans on the planet, I'd be asking the AD why he gave Rhoads a $20 million extension through 2020 a few years back, on the strength of a couple of wins over blah Iowa teams and a fluke OT win over No. 2 Okie State.

Good thing they have Hoiberg in town.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted