1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Troy, Ala.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Do you love sports? The (Troy, Ala.) Messenger, an award-winning small daily and part of Boone Newspapers Inc., has an immediate opening for a sports editor. We cover it all, from Division 1A athletics at Troy University to state championship high school programs. This full-time position offers a competitive salary and benefits, the chance to leave in a college town and the opportunity to advance within the newspaper and the company. Qualified candidates will have passion for sports, strong interviewing and writing skills, experience with Adobe Creative Suite and experience using social media to promote coverage. Photography or video skills are a plus. Send resumes with clips or a link to your online portfolio to Stacy G. Graning, Publisher, at stacy.graning@troymessenger.com. No phone calls, please.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

" ... LIVE in a college town ... "

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Ever been to Troy?

4. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I don't know. Being a Boone paper, you'll probably want to leave shortly.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

It's a college town but not a great college town by any means. Good people at the local university to work with though.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No doubt. To anyone out there this is a legit warning. Pay heed.

7. wfl

wfl New Member

Went to Dothan, Ala. one time in the middle of July. Got out of my car in an asphalt parking lot and thought my skin was going to melt.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dothan is not Troy. Big difference.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Couldn't be that bad. Now if you're talking Las Vegas in July then, yeah.

10. wfl

wfl New Member

Went to Vegas this July. Was 108 in the shade the first day.

Oh, and I don't know a darn thing about the towns of Dothan and Troy and don't claim to, but South Alabama weather is South Alabama weather.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Troy is a quaint little town (about 13K) and the university is a nice compact campus (about 7500 students). But it's well off the beaten path (I mean windy-ass two-lane roads to get there), unless your idea of the beaten path means Panama City to Montgomery. As I recall the paper was kind of meh. That's all I got.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a windy-ass two-lane road?

Draft saved Draft deleted