1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL and NL MVPs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I figured you'd answer that way, but I put that on the thread for people who possess powers of logic.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No surprise that you would respond with a personal attack rather than admit my point is valid. There is nothing illogical about saying every outing counts. Picking and choosing which starts you care to count is a terrible argument.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You both are practitioners of the personal attack. I wouldn't point fingers either way.

Just sayin'.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Can't argue against any of those. Only other guy who I'd consider for AL Cy Young is Kluber, but Hernandez has the edge over him.

5. outofplace

I don't use it as a substitute for arguing a point. LTL hid behind a personal attack because he couldn't win the argument.

6. outofplace

I thought about Kluber as well. Right now, Hernandez has the better case. It is close enough that Kluber could change that over the final few starts.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kershaw wins, he's now 19-3 with a 1.70 ERA. Giants hit him harder than they usually do, but he still went eight innings with 2 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 9 K. Dodgers take a three-game lead that probably means the N.L. West is theirs. (They have 13 to play, including the final six at home.)

I think he's closing up the MVP race.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Chris Sale is in the mix despite his lack of counting stats due to injury

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

So it's pretty much Kershaw's to lose.

Which is doubtful, but not out of the realm of possibility. If he subsequently has a bad outing or two, would McCutcheon be able to catch him. or has Stanton done enough. as well?

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Oh, man, good stuff.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Question: Is it fair that no one is even considering the Johnny Cueto Cy Young argument? He has six more starts and 37 more innings than Kershaw, and a 2.15 ERA.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes it's fair.

Draft saved Draft deleted