1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter - Minot, ND

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ryan Holmgren, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

One of our writers, who spent two years here, made a vertical move closer to home, so we have an opening on our sports staff. The official job listing should be on journalismjobs.com within the next 24 hours, but I thought I'd post it here first:

The Minot Daily News, a 19,000-circulation, seven-day newspaper in northwest North Dakota, immediately seeks a full-time sportswriter to complete our three-person staff.

The region features competitive prep athletics along with two junior colleges and Minot State University, an NCAA Division II school in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. We also cover the Minot Minotauros, a junior hockey team in the North American Hockey League and dirt-track auto racing in the summer.

The new hire will primarily cover preps. There are about 40 high schools in our coverage area (for the three in-town schools, we cover games regularly; the others we touch on in features and notebook items, with some travel to regional games between ranked teams). Occasional opportunities to cover Minot State and the Minotauros will also be available.

We focus on writing clean, concise copy and also take our own photos. Photography experience is helpful, but we're willing to train the right applicant to use a camera. Layout duties for our sports department are simply formatting scores on our scoreboard page once or twice a week.

To apply, send your résumé and five clips to sports editor Ryan Holmgren at sports@minotdailynews.com.

2. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

Thanks to all who applied. We had a solid applicant pool, but needed to make a quick hire. I'm happy to announce that Sean Kramer, formerly the sports editor of The Argonaut (University of Idaho student newspaper), has been hired for this position.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Congrats. Minot is a great place to start one's career (or so I heard). Sean try to find a place in Eastwood Park. Great neighborhood.

Draft saved Draft deleted