1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Police chief bullies reporter into resignation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey1, Aug 20, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The police chief may have a right to free speech, but he has a responsibility to not act like an asshole.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

To quote Wally Pleasant:
    "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII hate cops."

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Worst month ever for a movie called "Let's Be Cops" to be released. Calls to mind the Neighborhood Watch film (a comedy) after Zimmerman.

For a police chief to be that ignorant of his position? That he doesn't have a constitutional right to be police chief? I'm sure he is setting a fine example for the rest of his officers.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Her name is Sunshine Crump?

6. No. No he doesn't.

She resigned as police reporter, but is still employed at the paper, right? That's the way I read it.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The chief has now resigned after being suspended for 30 days by the Mayor.

http://jimromenesko.com/

Interesting turn of events I'd say

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If I'm that reporter, I'm renting a U-Haul today and getting the fuck out of town. Sheriff Buford T. Justice sure doesn't seem like the type of guy who will just drop this and let it go without retaliating.

9. Interesting to scroll down as well:
    * Former director of the Pew Center bought the OBX paper.
    * Someone is getting fired for referring to some Asians as "Chinky Winky and Dinky Doo" in a cutline.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Asian cutline also spelled "for" incorrectly. Not only is the cutline writer an idiot, he screwed up a basic word as well.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Yikes. Makes me appreciate some of the agencies I dealt with when I did my stretch of crime/court reporting. For the most part, we all worked under the acknowledgment that I may have to ask hard questions and write things they may not like, but there was always respect and professionalism. It is possible to do a tough job without being an asshole to people.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Counterfeit Teletubbies?

Draft saved Draft deleted