1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Susan Denk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 20, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not sure how many people on our board have had dealings with Susan, but this is a sad story... died while on vacation in Chicago with her boyfriend after she had a heart attack. Only 39. Ugh. My condolences to her family and friends.

http://host.madison.com/sports/former-wsj-sports-reporter-susan-denk-dies-of-apparent-heart/article_e6488016-2732-11e4-bd47-0019bb2963f4.html

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I didn't know Susan well, but covered a few Midwest League games and prep playoff games with her in the 2000s. She was very laid back and easy to chat with during long Class-A slugfests.

Pretty sure there are a few SportsJournalists.comers who worked with Susan, and it's sad, shocking news. She was way too young.

Rest in Peace.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Geez, 39 and heart attack. That's just awful.

RIP.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Susan was the first person I hired when I became sports editor here. She was my friend more than my colleague.

It's been a week, and I still miss her. Monday was easily the worst day I've had in a long time. I still can't wrap my head around what happened, and I'm not sure if I ever will.

She had been dating her new boyfriend for about two weeks. I met him for the first time at the visitation on Thursday night. He said he was sorry for my loss, and I told him the same. He looked at me and said, "Yeah, but you had her longer."

This has been absolutely heartbreaking.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Really. OUCH! Just another reminder never to take things for granted.

Draft saved Draft deleted