1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The Opelika-Auburn News is looking for a sports editor.

This job hasn't officially been posted yet (however, it will be within the next day or two, I believe), but I wanted to put it out there, since they're looking to move fast.

I've been the SE here for the last 10 years and I can't say enough good things about the paper and the community. We've done well in my time here, competing on what I consider to be the most competitive beat in college athletics. The sports staff has won the APSE Grand Slam three out of the last four years, and the Triple Crown the one year we didn't clear the bases.

It covers Auburn University and 21 high schools, as well as a thriving golf community and the newly announced PGA Tour event, the Barbasol Championship, which will be held at the Opelika Robert Trent Jones Trail next July.

I could go on and on about it, but bottom line: This is a great job and a great opportunity for a sports editor. And don't let the circulation size fool you, it's not you're average community paper. It can hang with the big boys in the state and region.

If interested, send a resume and cover letter to managing editor Patrick Johnston (pjohnston@oanow.com).

Also, I plan to help out as much as I can with the transition, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at mszvetitz@oanow.com. I'll be here until Sept. 6.

2. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Couple questions, Mike, if you don't mind.

1. How do you pronounce your last name?

2. Where are you heading?

3. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

No problem, Jerry:

1) It's pronounced Sa-Vet-Its ... All you have to do is buy a couple of vowels.

And

2) I'm going to be the sports editor of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Boy, ain't that the truth. This is a big-time job and the paper always plays well above its weight class.

Mike, congratulations on your new venture.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

What does your day-to-day job entail? Mainly writing? Mainly editing/layout? Equal blend?

6. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The day-to-day job varies, depending on what's going on.

But there is no layout/pagination, since the paper is designed offsite at what we call a Consolidated Editing Center (CEC) in Hickory, N.C. They handle all the layout and design.
    However, the section is budgeted here and the SE will be the main one responsible for that, as well as reading/editing copy for print and web.

There is also a lot of writing that comes with this job. I serve as the "columnist" and go to every AU football game to do that and help the AU beat writer with siders, notes, etc. Also, the SE serves as a general assignment reporter as well, filling in where the prep and AU beat writers can't. I did a lot of golf and minor sports, just because I enjoyed it and wanted to help as much as possible.

Again, this job is a lot of work, but very rewarding and very fun. Also, I have a great staff that pulls more than its own weight.

7. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The job is officially posted ... here's the link.

https://bhmedia.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&id=23&jobid=3219&company_id=16186&version=1&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=993396&level=levelid1&levelid1=2750&parent=News&startflag=2

Draft saved Draft deleted