1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/designer in northwest Georgia

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Marty Kirkland, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Marty Kirkland

Marty Kirkland New Member

The Daily Citizen, an 11,000 circulation newspaper in Dalton, Ga., has an opening for a writer/designer in a three-person sports department. Our focus is on local sports in our two-county area, which includes eight high schools and Dalton State College, an NAIA program that launched athletics last year. Along with strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style, you should be dependable and show initiative and creativity. The ability to use social media to enhance our coverage is also important. We publish a weekly high school football section during the regular season, and last year we launched a podcast that is produced weekly for most of the year. Although this position will entail more writing than layout, candidates with pagination experience are strongly preferred. Send a cover letter, résumé and writing/pagination samples (3-5 each) to sports editor Marty Kirkland at martykirkland@daltoncitizen.com.

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I'm the one leaving this position. If you are a recent graduate, someone looking to move up to a daily newspaper or just someone seeking a change or new opportunity, apply for this job. I can only say great things about the newspaper, the area and working for Marty, the sports editor and original poster. My writing skills from my first day to now is a 180-degree change, and he's also a fantastic boss and someone who recognizes and appreciates hard work and does everything he can to keep his staff happy. Management is also great, and you will have the ability to initiate new ideas and projects.

The area has strong sports, especially soccer. Dalton High, the largest school in the area, hasn't lost a soccer match in two years. If you enjoy watching great high school soccer, this is a mecca. The community still puts football No. 1, and Friday nights are a fun atmosphere, like most in the south. Chattanooga is a 30-minute drive and Atlanta is a 75-minute drive. Dalton also is getting a Popeyes, which is probably the most important part of this post.

If anyone has any other questions, send me a PM. For those wondering, I accepted a job as a sports writer with the Northwest Florida Daily News in Fort Walton Beach.

3. slc10

slc10 Member

I prefer Bojangles but Popeyes could work.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What's the best eatery in Dalton?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm guessing that Spanish-language skills, while likely not a requirement, might give an applicant a leg up.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm getting the idea there might be a chicken plant in the area (and a taqueria or two).

7. BuckoFives

BuckoFives New Member

You'll be floored by Dalton. You probably already are.

8. wfl

wfl New Member

Heh.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Just listened to the podcast.
    Who the hell let Whitfield sing?

10. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I assume Marty found somebody for this one, but I, too, can vouch for what was said of Dalton. I spent several years there and the atmosphere is great and Marty is a good boss to work for. Good position for someone just getting started or wanting to move up from a weekly...

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bengals fans haven't been lately.

12. BuckoFives

BuckoFives New Member

There's a very good statistical chance that Bengals fans have been floored by Dalton for several years. The Bengals, however, are floored by Calhoun.

Draft saved Draft deleted