1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Aug 11, 2014.

1. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

I'm too lazy to look this up, which pretty much says it all about my career prospects. But isn't Stephen Holder a Floridian Ramos add?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think he was in St. Pete before Indy, then Miami before that.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. 1 Herald Plaza, then Tampa Bay Times.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Holder and Ramos probably overlapped, very briefly, in Miami. Ramos left in 1998. That's about when Holder started.
    Holder worked his way up after that to Heat, then jumped to St. Pete to back up Stroud on Bucs.

5. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

For what it's worth, I remember reading a feature on Indiana basketball history from one of the star's young guns. Guessing he's a next-gen answer to the housecleaning here. It was really, really good. Seemed like a talented guy. They're losing a lot of talent, true, but wouldn't be surprised if they have at least some good answers for them.

6. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

That's Zak Keefer. He's a very good young writer. I'd also argue that Candace Buckner is rising on the basketball beat. But even if Zak can be an heir apparent to Richards' writing, a lot of holes remain.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Both ZK and CB are very good. But there has to be some psychic toll paid by newbies like that, going to work for a grindhouse that does what it does to good people who have come before them. It's like enticing chickens in the front door even though they've seen the KFC trucks pulling up to the back.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Maybe Ramos is a really strong word editor with the young writers. He might deserve a lot of credit for those young guns producing good material.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is the Star replacing all those who left? Is this an exercise in replacing existing staff or will FTE be reduced?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's Gannet (cq); there's a reason it's doing all this, and expansion and status quo aren't the options.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Did you see what the AJC became under his tutelage? It went from one of the best to one of the worst almost overnight and this was before people started reducing staff size.

12. Mike Chappell is out now, per his own Twitter.

Who's longest tenured on staff now? Hell, who's been there longer than five years?

Draft saved Draft deleted