1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Aug 11, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The only thing Ramos has gotten right at any of his stops is running off talent.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Anyone who wants to work for Ramos, after watching his Twitter fights with (among others) Joe Nocera and Pat Forde, does not want to be a journalist.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Not out yet, but he, Richards and Ambrogi are on their way.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This is really interesting to see. I worked with Ramos more than 25 years ago. He was a news reporter at the time and left our paper to go to the Miami Herald, where I assume he was still in news. I wouldn't say I was close, close friends with him, but I didn't see him as an asshole at all. This was somewhere between 28 and 29 years ago, so I guess a few things have changed.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think he's an asshole at all to your face.

6. RecoveringJournalist

This times 100,000.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Big difference between working with and working for. You got him very early in his career.

8. Phil Richards is now gone. Announced on Twitter he is taking a buyout and will be done Sept. 5.

9. dragonzo3

dragonzo3 New Member

Is there any industry that values institutional memory less than newspapers? /rhetoricalquestion

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

30 years at the Star and (for my money) the best writer there.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

He wasn't close to being management yet, so he probably hadn't taken the required classes on how to be an asshole.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Plenty of managers work a lot differently than the way your friend is described.

Draft saved Draft deleted