1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Or he's angling to be reunited with Jameis next year!

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's a 12-team league. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 K, 3 IDP. 8 man bench
    Offensive scoring .5 compl., 4 passing TD, 1 per 50 yds passing 2 at 300, -2 int, -2 fumble lost, 1 pt per 12 rushing 3 at 150, 6 pt per rushing TD, .5 per recept., 1 per 20 yds receive 3 at 150, 6 pt. per receiving TD, 1 per 60 return yds 3 at 150
    Kickers are marginalized - 0.5 per PAT and FGs up to 49 yds, 1 pt per FG over 50. -1 missed PAT, - .5 missed FG up to 49 yds, 0 missed FG over 50.

Top 10 QBs right now:
    Luck 255.70
    Manning 212.51
    Rivers 212.51
    Rogers 211.17
    Roethlisberger 203.97
    Cutler 202.44
    Brady 195.18
    Ryan 192.04
    Brees 191.29
    Wilson 185.32

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The scoring on kickers in that league is absurd. Why bother having them? At least award them 3 points for FGs. In both my leagues kickers earn 1 point for XP, 3 for FGs up to 39 yards, 4 points for 40-49, 5 points for 5-59 and 6 for 60+. Even under that format, they are easily the lowest-scoring position.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That doesn't even sound very fun. Too liberal a scoring system is no good, but that seems like it has swung 180 degrees the other way into ridiculousness. Even if everything's relative, it sucks to have one of your running backs go off for 125 yards and a touchdown, and you wind up with a grand total of 10 points.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You know why I love Fantasy Football?
    Drew Brees jumping the pile to give me a TD.
    You know why I hate it?
    Drew Brees falling three yards short of 300, costing me a 3-point bonus.

I got Graham in the first round and had to pair him with Brees. Working so far.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just throwing my league's scoring out there. It's been pretty consistent for 27 years.

We start a QB (must have 2), 2 RB (4), 3 WR (5), 1 TE (2), 1 PK (2). No defense. Sixteen-man roster which allows for one flex player at any position.

This leaves us around 120 points or so as the "average" line for a week. League record, easily, was 258.9 points for a team in Week 12 of 2012, achieved thusly:

CREAMY NUGGETS
    Starters
    Brees, Drew NOS QB 59.0 (446 yards passing, 3 TDs)
    Charles, Jamaal KCC RB 65.7 (226 yards rushing, TD, 10.3 average; 1 reception for 4 yards)
    Rodgers, Jacquizz ATL RB 3.5
    Austin, Miles DAL WR 14.5
    Johnson, Calvin DET WR 58.5 (11 receptions for 225 yards)
    White, Roddy ATL WR 40.9 (8 receptions for 153 yards, 2 TDs)
    Pitta, Dennis BAL TE 9.6
    Bryant, Matt ATL PK 7.0

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Holy shit that sounds complicated, and I've done almost every type of scoring over the last 25 years.

I can only imagine what it was like before the Internet.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Actually, I remember taking it upon myself to do it by hand in the early years. But yeah, once myfantasyleague.com worked with us to create the rushing-average conditional, the program took care of everything.

Interestingly, the thing they seemed to have the toughest thing figuring was rounding off the rushing average, so that 2.51 yards would round up to 2.6, etc.

Here is the league website, if anyone's interested.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I remember the days when we had to pay $150 a season to have those places run our stats. We're so spoiled today.

I did them by hand early on. We would use USA Today's stats as the benchmark, because papers weren't always 100 percent consistent. I was surprised how often there was a discrepancy with the defensive stats.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

One year in the mid-'90s, I started a league. At the time, I was in college with a double major of journalism/drinking. I was a terrible commissioner and quickly got behind in keeping up with the weekly stats by hand. Had better stuff to do, ya know? It got to the point that I literally skipped a couple classes one day late in the season and spent three hours sitting at the bar going through months of box scores in Monday and Tuesday papers to catch up. I was surprised to find out I made the playoffs.

11. RecoveringJournalist

In college, we would have each team email us what they believed their score was and usually on Wednesdays or Thursdays I would go to the library with one other person from the league and I would take the paper and do the scores, then he would do it and we'd compare.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The first couple years I played, it wasn't uncommon tnot to know if you won or lost until you saw the MNF box score in the paper Tuesday morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted