1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. It's not an unfair trade, but it is an example of someone whose season is over trading a top player to a contender for a downgrade at WR and a player who won't help him until next season.

The last keeper league I was in, the guy you kept had to be someone you drafted.

I'm against any trade that is the equivalent of someone giving up on the current season.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, I hate more in fantasy sports than someone who is out of the running for a playoff spot making a trade that could have a big impact on the outcome. I have no qualms about vetoeing trades, and I've pissed numerous people off by protesting. It still pisses me off that in my dynasty league, the commish traded Finley and Hauschka to his son in the offseason for Richardson and Bowe. Then his son cut those guys, and commish ended up drafting Hauschka again. And commish offered me those guys in a bout a dozen trades. God I need to get out of this league. But it has only won me money so far. Haven't had to pay a dime. Once I start fading, I'm out.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't see any issue with this. That's what dynasty leagues are all about. Hell, that's what happens in reality.

The guy is 1-6. His season is over. Any good GM would take the opportunity to begin building a contender for next season, and acquiring Adrian Peterson in what amounts to a seventh-round pick is a damn good start. Antonio Brown isn't going to help him this year (and I'm assuming he wouldn't be able to keep him?).

4. bigpern23

I'm trying to upgrade at WR in one of my PPR leagues and received a trade offer today. Guy wants Russell Wilson and Reuben Randle for Mohammed Sanu and Frank Gore.

Bearing in mind that Andrew Luck is my every week starter, Wilson is expendable. I feel like Wilson and Randle are too much to give up for Sanu and the ghost of Frank Gore (especially when I start Marshawn Lynch and Le'Veon Bell with Justin Forsett backing up at RB).

I may counter with just Wilson for Sanu and Gore.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Agreed, sounds like you shouldn't be in a Dynasty league.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I love fantasy football. Drop Owen Daniels two weeks ago. He scores a TD and goes for 68 yards. Pick him back up to play him, and he gets his knee scoped and is out. Oh well, Ertz it is. Maybe he'll show up this week.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I commish one of the leagues I'm in and I'm thinking about implementing keepers. What's the best way to put it in and what are the standard parameters? I've never played in one so I am unfamiliar with what the norms are and how it runs.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think it is a lack of planning as to the implication of keepers. I asked at the draft about the issue of a high drafted player who was waived but I am not sure everyone thought it through. That's why I got Peterson for only $3 on waivers.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Everybody's going to have different wrinkles on this. My old work league, we were allowed to keep one or two players and they had to be from different positions. Free agents counted as your 10th round pick in the following year's draft, and drafted players were whatever year they had been drafted in the previous season. That gave some value to shrewd free agent moves and draft picks.
    We also had a rule that you could only keep players for one year. That kept people from stashing great players forever, and every other year was a really fun draft when a ton of top RBs seemed to get thrown back into the talent pool.

As a bonus, we had what we called the "free for all" in Week 17. Since our Super Bowl was in Week 16, the last week of the NFL season was just blank. We created a league-wide game -- everyone was eligible to play, no matter what their record was -- where everybody submits a regular lineup, and the highest score for the week wins an extra keeper pick from any position.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's my whole season with tight ends. I draft Charles Clay. He does jack shit. I trade for Vernon Davis. He gets hurt. I pick up Garrett Graham and Heath Miller in back-to-back weeks and Graham got shut out and Miller might have gotten 2-3 points. Davis comes back and drops almost everything thrown his way.

And who do I pick up for this week? Fucking Clay, straight off his best game of the season. LOL.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've had much better luck. Drafted Graham in the first round and then somehow had Antonio Gates last until the 13th. I picked up Gates as an afterthought, on the thinking of a big name and best player available, and it's worked out beautifully.
    I've also somehow wound up with 3/4 of the Chargers' offense in my starting lineup. Drafted Rivers, Gates and Keenan Allen and picked up Branden Oliver in free agency. I think I even had Malcom Floyd for a week or two. Not sure how that happened, but it's working out well so far.

12. bigpern23

My counter got rejected, so I wound up making a trade of Wilson and Percy Harvin for Sanu and Gore. A.J. Green may be back this week, but it sounds like that turf toe is going to bother him the rest of the season, so I feel pretty confident in Sanu going forward.

I'll likely pick up Roethlisberger next week to back up Luck for his week 10 bye, when the Steelers face the Jets, so I don't think I'm losing much (if anything) at QB.

With any luck, maybe Gore even finds a rhythm going forward (not that I need him, but maybe he'd become trade bait).

Draft saved Draft deleted