1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

With receivers, I break them down like this:

Tier 1 (First and second round):
    Megatron
    D. Thomas
    AJ Green
    Dez
    Marshall
    Julio
    Nelson

Tier 2 (3rd or 4th)
    Jeffery
    Cobb
    Antonio Brown
    Vincent Jackson
    Roddy White
    Keenan Allen
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald

Tier 3 (5th, 6th, 7th)
    Patterson
    Crabtree
    Garcon
    Cruz
    Floyd
    Wright
    Sanders
    Harvin
    Smith
    Edelman
    DeSean Jackson

2. RecoveringJournalist

Where would people take Manning? I've seen him go anywhere from No. 1 to No. 15, but usually in the No. 5-10 range.

Manning averaged 25.6 points per game last season, which is just insane. Brees averaged 22.4 points per game and Rodgers averaged 18.8 during the nine games he started last year.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is for money, but since I have been in the money both years, I feel obligated to keep going. If I finish out of the running this year, I'll bail.

We did this once. Never again. Guys would rush for 46 yards and score higher than guys who were known to break long gains. It sucked sooo bad.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

For comparison's sake, here is my roster of keepers. I think my original keepers were Ryan, S. Jackson, V. Davis, Sh. Greene, Colston, Moreno and Britt. Something like that. Everyone else I drafted or picked off waivers the past two years. Did pretty well with Jeffrey, Stacy, Patterson and Murray. Hoping I can get Bortles and Devonta Freeman this year.

QB—Matt Ryan , Geno Smith, Michael Vick
    RB—Steven Jackson, Zac Stacy, DeMarco Murray, Shonn Greene, Knowshon Moreno, Latavius Murray, Jacquizz Rodgers
    WR—Alshon Jeffrey, Cecil Shorts, Marques Colston, Kenny Britt, Cordarelle Patterson, Rueben Randle
    TE—Vernon Davis, Charles Clay, Dennis Pitta, Delanie Walker
    K--Mason Crosby
    DEF—Denver

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Sounds like the game where Edelman had 13 catches for 78 yards.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Okay guys, once again I appreciate your feedback.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The way we handle it is a threshold. If an RB gets 10 carries, he then gets his rushing average added to his total -- like 3.5, 4.6, whatever.

Nine carries, he gets zip.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I just tried to do another mock on ESPN and then when eight quarterbacks went in the second round, I bailed since I knew I wasn't going to be able to use that as a way to gauge anything since Jay Cutler was taken before either Chicago receiver and Tony Romo was taken right after I took Dez Bryant.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Yeah. Mock drafts are interesting.
    I was in one the other day and it seemed pretty true to what will happen. - RBs early, some wide receivers. Rodgers somehow fell to me with my second pick. (I went 5th)

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Yahoo finally got its draft grades working again. While sometimes a fun exercise, the way they get put together is sometimes mind boggling.

An example from one of the other teams:

Which is immediately followed by...

More flip-flopping than a politician!

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Having exhausted all options for drafting 12th in a12-team PPR league, I took a couple different tacks with my latest mock drafts:

RB/WR
    Marshall
    Bernard
    Cruz
    Patterson
    Tate
    Ryan

WR/QB
    Marshall
    Brees
    Vereen
    Jennings
    Crabtree
    Floyd

I LOVE the second one. The key is Vereen. Getting him at the end of the third in a PPR league is a steal, IMO. Also like the value of Crabtree and Floyd. The problem with this, though, is that it's a good bet Vereen won't fall to me. If that happens, I'd be inclined to grab a second receiver there to avoid a later run, which, of course, leaves me thin at RB.

Thoughts?

12. RecoveringJournalist

I would be very surprised if Vereen isn't available in the third. I've seen him go much later than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted