1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalist - Lewiston, ME

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BUJP, Aug 7, 2014.

1. BUJP

BUJP New Member

From APSportseditors,org: http://apsportseditors.org/jobs-internships/the-sun-journal-lewiston-maine-seeks-sports-journalist/

The Sun Journal, an award-winning, seven-day-a-week newspaper and online media outlet in Lewiston, Maine, is looking for its next star sports journalist, someone who is willing and able to be active in the social media world while also being comfortable completing long-term projects, filing features and writing several game stories a week.
    The ideal candidate will be asked to step right into the fire. We are looking to move quickly to fill this position.

We pride ourselves on our high school and local sports coverage, and have been nationally recognized for our efforts. We are looking for someone who can meet those expectations, and help lead us to even greater heights.

Core requirements include a four-year college degree in journalism or communications, or commensurate experience; intimate knowledge of and proficiency in the basic skills of journalism — writing, reporting, storytelling, AP style; knowledge of and proficiency in the practices of digital journalism — blogging, social media, basic video editing, etc.; and full-time reporting experience.

The job will also entail occasional page design, so any knowledge of Adobe suite programs is a definite plus.

The Sun Journal is a family-run news organization that takes great pride in its ability to serve the surrounding communities. The ability to develop and maintain working relationships with coaches, athletic directors and athletes is very important.

If you think you have what it takes, please submit a cover letter, resume, writing samples and links to any digital work to sports editor Justin Pelletier at jpelletier@sunjournal.com. Please be sure to reference this job in the subject line.

If you wish to submit your application through traditional delivery methods, please send all materials to:

Justin Pelletier
    Sports Editor
    Sun Journal
    P.O. Box 4400
    Lewiston, ME 04243-4400

This is a great opportunity for the right individual. A comprehensive benefit package is included. Pay commensurate with experience.

2. Justin is a great person to work for, and that sports section wins a ton of APSEs. I think those two things are related. Highly recommended.

3. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

I'll echo what Daniel said. Justin is good people and does a great job up there. This will be a good job for somebody.

4. BUJP

BUJP New Member

Thanks to everyone who applied for this position. We are in the second phase of our process now. We had a fantastic pool of applicants and we hope to make a final announcement in the next week or so.

5. BUJP

BUJP New Member

Again, thanks to all who applied... We are pleased to announce that Michael Kraft, who has been working diligently at the Minot (ND) Daily News for the past two years, will be joining our staff in the coming weeks.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I see Justin has (rightly) followed in the great mold of Phil Kaplan of how to do announcements. Post the job. Update on the process. Announce the hire, thank you very much.

Textbook.

Well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted