1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports on Earth writers and editors laid off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DrewJo, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Pretty big deal here."

Jumping off a sinking ship?

2. Schottey

Schottey Member

Tanier's 1st column at Bleacher Report
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2184037-nfl-preview-2014-nfc-is-high-drama-afc-needs-a-reboot

3. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

I don't know if I'm surprised or not. BR has assembled a decent crew for its NFL coverage. I had heard about Cole a while back. They seem to have a lot of big/good names trending there now.

What's weird to me is the amount of Football Outsiders guys that seem to be either going to BR or splitting BR and FO. It was something I had actually noticed before. It's like those two are always swapping lunchbox goodies.

4. Schottey

Schottey Member

It's funny because it's gone both ways. Both Tanier and Rivers McCown were guys B/R has respected and wanted to come over for a while, but things just didn't link up until recently. That's a function of the fact that B/R's editors tend to be big fans of bringing that kind of writing to the site. Will Carroll is a little longer removed from FO, but similar idea there.

Ironically, though, that same sort of mentality has led FO to pick up some guys that we had plucked out of somewhat-relative obscurity. Cian Fahey and Scott Kacszmar are both guys that wrote for us for sometime and either left for FO or are splitting time.

5. CNY

CNY Member

Chuck Culpepper to the WaPo:
    http://t.co/cjUspkZll7

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Heard of this. Incredible talent. Good for the WaPo.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's not SEC country, but it'll be interesting to see what approach he takes.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thankfully Mike Tanier was activated by BR so we could get his laugh out loud
    observations of the past weekend's NFL games:

"It takes an innovator like Gary Kubiak to graft the dullest elements of the 2013 Texans to the dullest elements of the 2013 Ravens to create something hyper-boring. His new Ravens offense combines watching paint dry with watching grass grow: It's like watching paint grow.

All of your favorite Kubiak-isms are there. Stretch runs and play fakes off stretch runs are the staples. Those empty-backfield short passes that gain three fewer yards than you really need? Still there. Bengals linebacker Emmanuel Lamur intercepted a pass by standing on the Matt Schaub Memorial Patch of Turf toward which all Kubiak system outlet passes are directed. Kubiak even imported Justin Forsett to give the Ravens that "Arian Foster and Ben Tate are injured" vibe.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2190896-mike-taniers-monday-morning-hangover-forget-the-flags

Draft saved Draft deleted