1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripps merging with Journal Communications

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeterGibbons, Jul 30, 2014.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Do any of the Scripps papers still have defined benefit pension plans? The article said the broadcasting company will get the pension fund debt that will leave the papers debt free. Which leads me to wonder if the newspapers had a pension liability problems and will not want to jettison the pension plans.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I also beg to differ, for the same reason in a different state....

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

A tv friend says this is all about Scripps buying up tv stations where they couldn't because of the cross ownership rules.

Said that stations in Fort Meyers/Naples, Memphis and Knoxville would be bought sooner rather than later.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I guess my perception was wrong.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

This may give the new newspaper enterprise a better chance than the soon-to-be Tribune newspaper publishing spinoff, which will be saddled with $300 million-plus in debt that will go toward paying a cash dividend to the "old" company.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That would make sense. Which leads me to wonder if Gannett, which is increasingly a local television company, will spin off newspapers.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Tribune spinoff comes next week.

8. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

No, the pension benefits went away 6 or 7 yrs ago (maybe longer) when they did the pay cuts across the company, they also had temporarily stopped the 401k match, but it got reinstated. Those vested in the pension stopped earning time when they stopped the pension.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My guess is that Scripps will buy Raycom, which they couldn't before but can now.

Check the maps.

http://www.raycommedia.com/locations/

http://www.scripps.com/brands/television

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I also beg to differ, for the same reason, X2.....

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Training ground for future copy editors. If it weren't for child labor laws, most of those kids would be taking our jobs right now.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Scripps merger is now taking its toll on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. I'm told there were two buyouts of very senior writers in the sports dept. and there are supposedly layoffs to come. They were already razor-thin on the sports staff. They didn't really have anyone who isn't already on a major beat. I would think they have to replace at least one of the two bought out, as he was on a pretty major beat. The only way they can get away without replacing him would be to make one of the two Brewers beat guys (Tom Haudricourt and/or Todd Rosiak) or one of the three full-time Packer beat guys (Bob McGinn, Tom Silverstein or Tyler Dunne) split time between the two beats. And this is before any feared layoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted