1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Washington Times partners with The Redskins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What's Boswell got to say about all this?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What does the Times have to do with journalism?

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think they just hired somebody to make it three full timers, plus Marc and two columnists who, I believe, are technically freelancers. Which one do you consider the terrible columnist?

This certainly hangs a cloud over all their coverage, but to be fair, ESPN 980 is owned by the Redskins and they aren't absolute sunshine pumpers. This probably won't be the paper to go to for coverage of the nickname controversy though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

As journalists go, the three full-time writers and the SE fall along the spectrum from good to great.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's too bad the front portion of the paper is a sad charade.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the staff was that small. I know most of the people who have left in the past year have all wound up in pretty great places, and I'm not just talking about the former SE.

7. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Jack Kent Cooke also liked the Times and hated the Post. At one time, the GM (I think it was Charley Casserly) was under orders not to talk to the Post. And I seem to remember Norv Turner getting pimped out as a 'columnist' for a Times section. The Redskins used to have a deal with the Examiner to do a weekend wraparound but did not use Examiner staff for media purposes.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

from the late 1990s: Los Angeles Times Publisher Kathryn M. Downing on Wednesday apologized for entering into an agreement to share the profit from a special issue of the Times Magazine with Staples Center, the new downtown sports arena that was the magazine's sole subject.

Downing said the lapse in judgment--and her failure to disclose it to readers and the paper's journalists--stemmed from her own "fundamental misunderstanding" of editorial principles in the newspaper industry.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

About a decade ago, most NFL coaches wrote a weekly column for a paper during the season. They were paid a small fortune by newspaper standards (six figures or close to it) to do it and they were all usually written by someone on the PR or Marketing staff and approved by the coach. The coach I used to cover used to joke, "What did I write this week? I hope it was good."

I don't know if any still do it since most papers simply can't afford it anymore.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I'm guessing he thinks Loverro is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/13/washington-times-calls-michael-morse-dumb-says-the-nats-are-better-without-him/

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ugh. That guy is just one gianormous ball of suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted