1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clayton Kershaw: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I hate to quote myself, but can someone explain why 3 Cy Youngs would make Kershaw automatic, but Murphy and his 3 MVPs never came close?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because his 3 MVPs are 2 MVPs.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yeah, and didn't Sandy Koufax go blind?! And man, if Doc Gooden hadn't blown out his arm shoving a speedball down his nose!

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

W/L is just a byproduct of pitching well. There's no reason I can think of to look at it to evaluate a SP.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Verlander better hope this year is not the start of a slide into the final five years on his contract (the sixth is a vesting option I don't think he will get).

In nine seasons (counting 2014), he has two great seasons back-to-back, flanked by three very good seasons and then two more very good seasons. But he has two below average seasons as well. If the next five seasons are mediocre to below average, I don't know if the really good seven years of his career will outweigh the equal seven average to below average.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It sounds like the Tigers should be the ones hoping.

Draft saved Draft deleted