1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid writes for Bleacher Report, never gets paid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, Jul 22, 2014.

1. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Well, I did eventually land a contract position with them for the entire college football season up until signing day. Paid great money for a). my current situation and b). for the work I was doing.

Yes, there were frustrations during that 6-month period of not being paid. But I was literally only spending 2-3 hours max on those 2 articles per week on that time, so wasn't too big of a deal. But to me, I just saw that time as an opportunity to prove I deserved a paid position, never expected it.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Glory, glory hallelulah.

King Kaufman, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Ponzi Scheme is the best, and most succinct, description of B/R I've ever read. So kudos to Mr. Fart.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Love the graphic. Is that Dick Vitale's head?

"Living the dream, baby!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Letter to a Young Blogger:

https://sports.vice.com/article/an-open-letter-to-a-young-sports-blogger-looking-to-get-paid

6. Dude should have taken the full-tine waiter gig.

"De factor?"

7. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

Oh no. A single typo? Dude clearly has no writing skill whatsoever. You're right. Tine is clearly up on his career.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Typos should not be published.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's really a shame a lot of newspapers are copying Bleacher Report and not paying people for writing. It's disgraceful really. You simply cannot work for free in this world. It's a waste of time. I don't care about all the experience a person is getting. It's demeaning and wrong and almost criminal for a company to have unpaid interns. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Unpaid internships aren't new.

11. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

Have to admit it does strike me as a bit odd that an entire board full of journos is willing to take any of that original report at its face value. Remember reading it last week. So much of the writer's argument and sentiments seemed so very flawed. I get that The Bleacher Report has gotten away with some questionable practices, to what extent they still do I do not really know, but this seems more like piling on a pretty lousy hatchet job than really discussing anything of consequence here.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Good grief. Newspapers aren't "copying" Bleacher Report. Unpaid internships have been around for a long, long time.

And they're not limited to the news industry.

You stick to your opinion, but as I've already posted on this thread, my non-newspaper employer has 21 interns this summer who are getting a hell of a lot of experience and an amazing and coveted internship to add to their resumes. People are already applying for next year's.

Draft saved Draft deleted