1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Long time Pittsburgh reporter leaves paper to start own site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Dejan Kovacevic has left The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review to start his own website covering Pittsburgh sports. His wife will handle the business side.

Hope it works, because we need success stories.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now that's the way to keep things behind a paywall!

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hope it works out well for him.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever actually made a living doing this? I have heard of lots of attempts but not any successes.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fuck Pittsburgh.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A guy in Hamilton New Jersey (he didn't work at a paper) wanted more Hamilton high school sports and news so he started a website devoted to Hamilton high school sports and news. He sells a ton of ads.

http://hamiltonpulse.com/

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you're going to do this and hope to make money you probably do need that second (or third) person to get the ads because the news/sports side of it would take too much time and energy.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I tried it and it failed miserably, though I still think it can work and I hope Dejan has some success. Mine was probably more a problem of me being impatient and diving in without proper backing (or business training). I'm still recovering.

Pittsburgh is a different market from where I tried so maybe it can work. Typing with fingers crossed.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My buddy started a magazine (since mothballed, although I believe they do print-on-demand) about high school sports in the town where we were working at the time. No idea if it's profitable, but it's still around five years later.

http://scrimmageplay.com/

10. Does Peter King and Jeff Pearlman count?
    Although, I suppose it might remain to be seen if those sites (well, Pearlman's anyway) is a money maker.

11. Paying someone to design a decent website wouldn't hurt, either.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

On no level is Peter King "out on his own"

I know a handful of people who I thought were pretty successful doing it, but then they left for mediocre jobs with newspapers or websites, so my assumption was that they weren't doing as well as some thought they were.

Draft saved Draft deleted