1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Exactl quote from a head coach I covered once:

"I haven't read your article, but I think what you wrote is ludicrous."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

It would drive me nuts when people would complain about "all this bad press" when what they really meant was one bad article.

A single bad article, or even a single day's news/a single news cycle of bad news, is nothing. That's quickly forgotten. Unless the story grows legs, goes on for days, and is picked up by additional news outlets, it's not a big deal. get over it.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Twitter also amplifies outrage among people who are already outraged. And people who are on Twitter (journalists) also have a skewed understanding of how much Twitter reflects the larger views of culture. (Also a good time to point out that 90 percent of the content on Twitter is generated by 10 percent of the users.) Journalists of all abilities frequently fail to grasp this. It's why there are few things dumber than stories where a reporter watches a big sporting event, sees a minority score a goal or touchdown or winning basket, etc., searches for the n-word on Twitter — and that athletes name — then writes a little story about how Twitter shows that *some* people are still racist. Yeah, no kidding. Those people with 23 followers are really reflective of our larger views. Way to give them more exposure, Buzzfeed.

Everything SEEMS huge in the moment now when 60 (a generous estimate) of the 1100 people you "follow" (that would be 18 percent) are tweeting about it at once. Think about, for instance, Junior Seau's death. I can't tell you how many people Tweeted about what a game-changing moment this was for the NFL. This was going to be the straw the broke the camel's back. This was going to shake the NFL to its core because fans would not be able to support a product any longer that was killing its superstars.

When is the last time you heard anyone talk or write about Junior Seau? No one stopped watching football because of Junior Seau. Most people just wanted to feel better about themselves for a day, so they took to Twitter to feel righteous.

The same will happen with Ray Rice, which is what bumped Dungy off the cycle of Twitter outrage. A lot of controversies can't even make it a full news cycle.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

One of the worst mistakes the media has made is giving instant credibility to social-media outrage. An unfortunate byproduct of social media causing most people to mistakenly believe their opinions matter.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't think Rice will be able to evade this on social media.
    I believe this travesty will follow him the way Twitter users have typed in some derivation of "rape" whenever Josh Lueke makes a relief appearance.
    There is a visceral reaction to someone who has not been punished for a crime.
    You must cry out for the blood of the criminal- like a good Roman.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Last time I heard about Junior Seau was when his son committed to Duke... for lacrosse. Had interest from football programs like Tennessee, Texas and San Diego state, but chose to quit football and play lacrosse.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

"I haven't read your article, but our PR staff has a paragraph highlighted for me to read later and I'm not happy about it."

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

What will be interesting is if Sam is a tweener, there is going to be endless speculation as to whether he makes the team or not.

I agree about the 36 hours thing, unless Sam feels he wasn't treated fairly and decides to spout off. I really doubt he'd do that.

9. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

The hell I don't. Two letters. PC.

10. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

There will be a shit storm if Sam is cut.

But hey, he'll have a job in a nanosecond as a "rights" guy.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Rights" in quotation marks.

Nice.

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

It's universal? Last I checked there were quite a few states that weren't being told by a select federal judge what to do. You can have your view, but if you perpetuate the notion that there's not a divide on that without labeling the side you disagree with as a bunch of bigots, then you're not presenting either the facts or the reality of this country, not to mention both sides of the equation.

Draft saved Draft deleted