1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 15, 2014.

1. What did Palmer, age 35, do after Nicklaus won at Oakmont in 1962? He won one more major. One.
    ... .... ... Let that sink in ... One.
    Nicklaus effectively ended his reign.

2. Yep. And he's been a pro since what 1993? His close-but-no-cigar loss at Pinehurst to Stewart doesn't count?

His majors win are spread out over his career.
    Better?
    Happy?

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can't believe that I'm actually hearing someone say that Arnold Palmer isn't a great player.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm going to go buy my kids some ice cream, but after I put them to bed, I think we can put together some tiers of "greatness" that can help this argument.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's OK for North Americans to call it the British Open to differentiate it from the U.S. Open. Quit it with the colonial shame.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Why is having your majors spread out over your career a bad thing?

7. Believe it.
    I don't back off that statement.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Today was not shaping up early as a day that will live in infamy on SportsJournalists.com, but youneverknow.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

None of them are great and they aren't athletes. /bluefont

10. It's not. I don't think that's I said.

But if so, let me clarify. ...

People tend to forget that the term "best-player-to-have-never-won-a-major" was coined for Mickelson. Not Monty. Not Garcia. Mickelson.
    His second act is one of the most remarkable in golf history. Last year's British Open win was ... great. ;)

But what about the first half of his career? He was talented no doubt. Best short game in the world. But it took what 10, 13 years to get a major? Then he got several. Which is awesome.

But my point remains: He was never THE most dominant player of his era. Not even when he was winning the majors.

This has been fun ... but I have to go run and thew wife and I have the house to ourselves tonight.

11. Did you know Bobby Jones was called Sluggo by Cliff Roberts?

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This is so SportsJournalists.com. :)

Disagree with something, so we come up with the most ridiculous similes imaginable and knock the "offender" over the head with them.

EDIT: At least 10 times.

Since Garcia is the center of this, let me say:

He never won ANY of 'em. And yet, I haven't called him a hack.

But he sure as hell ain't great.

Draft saved Draft deleted