1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter - The Paris News (Texas)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Brent.Wilburn, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Brent.Wilburn

Brent.Wilburn New Member

It hasn't officially been posted yet, but just wanted to give whoever might be interested a heads up on this. It's an excellent opportunity for someone fresh out of college. I am currently the sports editor, but I'm getting out of the biz at the end of the month. The current sports reporter, Maddie Kuhn, will be promoted to SE, which will open up the sports reporter position.

I've been here for 5-and-a-half years, and I've liked it. There are good people here, and this job gives you plenty of opportunities to grow and kinda do your own thing. If you do a good job, you'll get noticed and you can move on.

It's a two-person department with an afternoon edition Monday-Friday, no Saturday edition, and a Sunday morning edition.

PM me with any questions. Here's the job description:

The Paris News, a growing six-day-a-week afternoon newspaper in Northeast Texas, is looking for a sports writer to help cover 11 high schools, one junior college and a variety of youth sports and recreational activities. The candidate will also aid in page design.

Experience in InDesign and photography is a plus. 
Our company offers a complete benefits package, including health insurance, 401K and paid vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience.

Apply by sending a cover letter, resume, layout and writing samples to managing editor Connie Beard by e-mail at connie.beard@theparisnews.com.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Is there a picture show there? :)

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If you stick around long enough, you'll get to write a really extensive obit of Gene Stallings one day.

That's all I got.

4. SportsStringer

SportsStringer New Member

Yes, as well as a Chilis, Applebee's and Sweet Frog froyo -- all on the 286 loop there.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They have a bike race today called the Tour of Paris!

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They also have their own Eiffel Tower. Not as big as the original, but it has a big Stetson on it IIRC.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fun fact: The football stadium has one of only two elevators in the whole county. (I was told the downtown bank has the other.)

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Is there a gigantic stature of Wim Wenders in the center of town?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How about hotels? Is there a Paris Hilton?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, was there earlier this summer and got my photo with it. Right next to a park honoring veterans. And the civic center.

11. SportsStringer

SportsStringer New Member

Anyone know if this one got filled? Wondered with Monday marking the start of high school football workouts in Texas.

12. Brent.Wilburn

Brent.Wilburn New Member

This one has been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted