1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, The Leftovers on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 29, 2014.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Um, OK. And thanks for the reminder, Tony. I'll be out of town next weekend anyway. The DVR is a great thing.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seriously, that is what your post boils down to. It is possible for a show to start strong and stay there. Strong writing usually involves both.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Take 'The Americans' for example.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Breaking Bad started strong and stayed there with excellent writing. There are different types of good writing. The Leftovers is an example of it. What I'm getting at is the people who gave up on the show just because they weren't patient enough to let things play out. I also loved Lost, which obviously was similar in style, but did start off stronger with the dramatic event of the plane crashing. But this one had a baby - and others - simply vanishing. It's not like it was a boring pilot.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't even give the show a chance. Not because I'm impatient. Because the show's creator has a track record of long, slow builds toward NOTHING.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wish I had known this back in July.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is a great premise. That is why so many of us gave it a shot. I was three episodes in before I stopped bothering Sunday night, though I've been catching the replays during the week. I doubt I will even do that after the finale.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've vowed to stop watching after at least three episodes. Kinda glad I stuck with it now. The more recent episode was great, I thought. I liked going back and getting some details about their former lives.

So Kevin and Laurie's house was.....something. And what was with the long crack in the wall? I'm guessing that bitch falls apart. And then they move into the house the deer pummeled?

Having that chick disappear mid-stroke was awesome. No wonder Kevin's so fucked up. The baby monitor thing was an easy call.

I was telling my wife during the first few minutes of the episode that we haven't seen the lady whose backseat baby disappears in the pilot at all this season. And then...BOOM! There she is. For like 6 seconds.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So why are they not airing the season finale tonight?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Holiday weekend. It's on next week.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I realized that after I posted. Forgot shows usually take a week off like that during a holiday.

Glad they did a marathon Sunday, though, because it allowed me to get caught up after missing the last two weeks.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

They preempted it so they could show The Hobbit 2 and The Hobbit in one night.

Draft saved Draft deleted