1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, The Leftovers on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 29, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That makes two of us. It's like the writers' goal is to just keep writing weirder and weirder shit that has no connection to any other part of the story.

It's kind of hard to believe that this is on the same network that gave us Dream On, The Larry Sanders Show, The Sopranos, The Wire, Big Love, Six Feet Under, Veep. Even Silicon Valley is great television next to this. I guess I'll give it a chance to start making sense, but not for much longer. Hard to want to keep watching a show where you wish most of the characters would get killed. I mean, seriously, just please blow up the cult compound.

2. old_tony

Glad someone got that.

3. old_tony

Maybe they weren't really "Taken." Maybe they were so fed up with the rest of the godforsaken people in this show that they made the only sane decision a person could make and they all left on their own volition to get away from these pieces of shit.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I see your point, but it seems like this shouldn't piss off viewers. The show has done nothing to indicate we're ever going to get any answers (ANSWERS!!! :D ) about those taken. Really, not even a hint that someone may be able to figure it out.

My wife noted last night that she doesn't get the point of the show, and I suspect she's far from the only one. It doesn't seem to have a direction yet. What is the plot working toward? If it is just a study of how these people react to the Oct. 14 event, then yeah, it's just going to get boring.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm getting a little tired of it.
    I don't expect every answer. I like a show or movie that leaves some things open to speculation.
    But there has to be more to it than this. There has to be more story.
    I'm not watching something just to see how characters deal with the circumstances.

We're five episodes into a 10-episode run and they've given up nothing.
    What happened to the people? no info
    what is the creed and goal for the GR? no info
    What is the creed and goal for the hugging guy's cult? no info
    What's going on with the dog-shooting guy? no info
    what's going on with the sheriff's father? no info

it's stagnant.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

That beginning tho ... (of episode 5)

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about continuing to watch, but that opening was freaking intense.

8. old_tony

I'm right there with you, but there's always the idea that I'd quit watching and then it'll turn into this cultural phenomenon.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Why not judge the show on the merits of the entire season if you're on the fence?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

True.

Isn't the season at the halfway point?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Season is at the mid-point.

The folks making the show have to hold my interest. I'm not going to give them a full season before I decide if it's good.

I've decided the Leftovers gets one more episode for the story to move forward or I'm cutting bait.

12. old_tony

Well, Buck, I'm guessing you're done after tonight because that did not move anything forward at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted