1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics threads

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Dec 6, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

EDIT: I moved a bunch of posts asking about politics threads here, as they were derailing other threads. - Jeff, Site Admin

---------
    I ask this in humility.
    Welcome.

I will be direct: Can the Politics Thread, often filled with great wit and fun stuff harmful to NOBODY, along with its weird/fascinating sociology, be reinstated?

One guy poisoned that thread. One guy took it to Creepytown.

Please give us a fresh chance. Please let working professionals discuss the current events that affect our lives and times. Please treat us as professionals, scant though we may appear, and allow us to interact.

Respect,
    Fart

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
  2. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

It's a good question.

I don't know much about the history of political discussions in this community, but when I introduced myself to the mods earlier this week, a few of them specifically mentioned that the politics threads have caused more harm than good, which doesn't really surprise me.

My general observation from other communities is that political discussions often result in a more abrasive and argumentative community culture, which is the opposite of what I'd like to foster.

So I fully support the mods current policy that politics as a topic are not allowed on the board.

Sorry it's not the answer you wanted.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

Jeff, it's a better and more courteous answer than any we've gotten. Thanks and take it easy.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Jeff. In just one day, you've managed to do the impossible.

No one else has ever been able to get 3OF to do anything with humility.

Also, does it make anyone else chuckle that such an impassioned plea to be treated as professionals is signed "Fart"?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hi, Jeff. Consider the thread in your decision on politics discourse: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/92290/

Rampant and accepted sexism and (less obviously) racism has been a much bigger issue than political difference.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This board polices itself pretty well, with or without the mods. The Politics thread is not for everyone, but anyone who goes there knows what to expect. It's wide-open debate, arguments and -- yes -- inflammatory situations at times, but Welcome to America, eh?

It's also brilliant, fast-paced discussion every day, at a much higher level than you'll find most anywhere else, and there's a huge void left when we can't engage this topic every day, and week to week. Suspend those who go too far -- for a week or a month, whatever -- but don't deny us the Politics thread in an open forum as good as this board is.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

My mother raised me to return respect that is shown to me.
    And yes, I am a professional. This board is not real life. You do know that, I hope.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Politics is the adult professional's sport like college football is the blue collar fanboy's sport.

I excused myself from being emotionally invested in either of them many years ago. No point in wasting my time getting upset, excited, angry, happy, etc. over a bunch of bullshit.

I could care less if politics is ever discussed here or anywhere. You won't see me involved in it.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jeff - a serious question / observation: If the idea is to create more page views in hope of generating
    more revenue then why ban political threads? It seems counter productive to your goal.

If you look at past history political threads typically had more page views than most threads.

If increased revenue is your goal then removing the politics ban is going to get you there a lot quicker.

As a quick study just go look at some of the "quasi" political threads that have been allowed like Ferguson
    discussion.

10. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

1) You are right that politics spikes short term pageviews/revenue.

2) Having a pleasant culture matters more to me than revenue. Historically, political threads have brought out the worst in quite a number of folks.

3) Mods burn out faster dealing with politics threads. That's a show-stopper right there.

4) Xenforo lets people be banned from specific forums/threads, so I won't say that it political threads will never happen--we could permaban folks from those threads--but I really don't see a reason to open that can of worms other than short-term revenue.

Hank_Scorpio likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is a really disappointing answer. It negates any other improvements you may make to the site.

On a popular, fast moving thread, it's just a major pain in the ass. I end up spending half of my time loading new pages. And, if I'm looking for a post I saw earlier that I'd like to respond to or quote, it will now take me four times as long to find it.

Most disappointing is that you could make the change, but just don't want to.

Good content is what will drive page views. This is like doing a reverse stock split, and proclaiming you've gotten share prices up.

The board's been dead the last several days. Making it less user friendly will not drive page views.

It's about "stickiness". You need people to stay on the site longer. Giving me a frustrating user experience drives me away from the site, and will lead to fewer page views.

Boom_70 likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I come for YF (and Boom) (and because my goal is to see if oop laughs just once in his lifetime while posting) (and for reasons that I'm not at liberty to divulge) so perhaps you can indulge YF his one wish here. Afterward you'll say to yourself, you'll say, Jeff, that felt right.

Plus, he'll give you a fat discount next time you need to repair the espresso machine. Get it? Because he's just a coffee repairman!!! 11!11!!

jr/shotglass, YankeeFan and Boom_70 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted