1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feedback on Supporting Users group?

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

I hear you on wanting this.

First, the reason I changed it to 12 is to generate more pageviews, which means more ad revenue--this site doesn't make a ton, but it helps cover the time I put into working on the site and helps put food on the table for me and my family.

However, I totally get that if you're an extremely active user, the 12 posts per page and 20 threads per page may be limiting.

So the other option here is I could create a "Supporting Member" user group that skips all ads and lets you adjust your settings to view as many posts/threads per page as you want. I really haven't put much thought into it just yet, but it'd probably be around $20 a year.

Very open to feedback on this...

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Had something like that at one point and hilarity ensued. It created a bit of a caste system.

There was a special "members only" walled of section that became a bit elitist.

"The members went behind the wall and talked about other board members but
    did not realize that it was fairly easy to get the codes and access.

The tide went out and many members were caught with no swim suit so to speak.

3. Jeff

No plans to do this. Probably roll out a custom title as a thank-you for those who support the site, but not a fan of a members-only section.

At this point, I was just thinking "To use the site, you can either pay in pageviews/ad impressions or you can buy a membership, and skip ads/pageviews."

I'm fine either way, it'd just be an option for those who prefer that.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Talking shit in the panic room?

No way!

Did you know that ... on second thought, never mind.

Boom_70 likes this.
  5. Boom_70

The culprits were exposed when some of the better messages were re-posted on the main board for
    all to see and enjoy. It was a bit like the Sony hack.

6. Jeff

I moved a bunch of posts discussing politics threads to a dedicated topic.

Please use this thread to provide any feedback on the supporting users group, not to argue why political threads should be brought back.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I know you asked nicely, but every thread is used for arguing about why political threads should be brought back. It never ends.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm adjusting pretty quickly to the new digs, but I do miss the functionality of being able to navigate directly to any board from the bar at the bottom of the page, even within a thread. It's a little annoying to have to click out to Everything Else and then click the board you're trying to get to. I'm assuming this is a page views issue, but it definitely sucks.

Also, avatar GIFs no longer work which really takes away the full impact of Al Pacino yelling, "She's got a GREAT ASS!"

9. Boom_70

For quick nav go to bottom lower right hand corner of site. You will see an upward point arrow. Scroll over it, click and it will open a "quick nav"
    that will get you anywhere on site. To me it was like finding the beanstalk in Super Mario Brothers

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Awesome find, even better Super Mario reference. :D

Boom_70 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted