1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

On the flip side, my first draw was Uruguay, Cameroon and Bosnia.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every time I run it, the USMNT gets put in the Group of Death.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm not. The US played a complete game of hard, honest soccer and went for the win when the only beneficiary was the team its fans most loathe. This was a victory for all those who think the US should be above all the shenanigans, cynicism and gamesmanship that are so widespread in the modern game. Play hard, play fair and play to win, even when it's not to your benefit -- that's the kind of American exceptionalism I can support.

And for those holding out hope the Kiwis can finish off Mexico, here's a fun fact: Since beating Bahrain in the playoff to get into the 2010 World Cup, New Zealand has only scored 2+ goals against non-Oceania opposition twice -- a 3-2 loss to Jamaica and a 2-2 draw with El Salvador.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Mexico will not have an easy time with the Kiwis.

Also what's the deal with clubs releasing their players for this one? There's no international break for the playoff games. Is it feasible not all hands will be on deck?

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

After about 10 tries, I got the USMNT a group I liked. Colombia, USA, Russia, Bosnia

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I just tried it again and got Belgium, Chile, Ukraine. That seems about as doable as anything.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As it likely will be in the real draw as well, given that the USA is one of the strongest teams in its pool of teams. Doesn't help that England and Holland aren't seeded, of course (although Holland apparently will be if Uruguay somehow contrive to lose to Jordan).

And my first try produced Germany, Italy, US and Ecuador. As well as Brazil, South Korea, Ivory Coast and England, along with Belgium, Bosnia, Costa Rica and Algeria.

8. Inky_Wretch

Phantom goal in Germany ...
    .be

Oh, and Mexico has fired Victor Manuel Vucetich in favor of Club America's Miguel Herrera? The train wreck continues down there.

9. TrooperBari

If it's qualifying for a FIFA tournament, I'd imagine international break rules apply. Not sure about the friendlies, though I imagine Klinsmann won't be experimenting too much when faced with the might of Scotland and Austria.

WC draw simulator: Attempt 1) Group D: Belgium, US, Ghana, England; Attempt 2) Group C: Colombia, US, Ghana, Bosnia; Attempt 3) Group B: Colombia, US, Nigeria, Portugal; Attempt 4) Group B: Spain, US, Cameroon, Ukraine.

Draws got better as they went along, even if none of them were very good. Barring some completely goofy results in the remaining playoff matches, it doesn't look like there will be any cupcakes at this World Cup. Maybe US chances get a boost if Mexico doesn't qualify, thus landing the three Concacaf teams in the same pot as the five African teams and deferring the inevitable exit to Ghana until the knockout round.

10. Inky_Wretch

USMNT is eyeing a friendly vs. England before the WC. I think we should make that an unofficial SJ soccer road trip if it's played in the States.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, that would be real nice. Perhaps in March in the snow in Denver? :)

12. TrooperBari

Thought I read in the Guardian it would be in Miami and pretty close to the start of the World Cup. Part of England's acclimatization process so the pastier members of their party don't look like lobsters when they kick off in Brazil.

Draft saved Draft deleted