1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very ugly day at CBSSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

All remote editors, from what I've been told. A number of writers, though not sure how many. Ugly. Blood bath. Those are the words I've heard.

Anyone know more?

I hate this. I worked there twice. I love the people there, really enjoyed working with those I got to work with on their remote desks. This is, quite simply, awful.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Best of luck to all. Sounds dire.

Like you, Moddy, hate hearing this stuff.

And if there's no safe haven, if you will, on the Web (and I know that experience), then is there anywhere?

3. Moderator1

Writer count isn't going to be terribly high (for now), I'm told. That remote desk handled a ton of copy, wonder who is going to handle it now?

Adam Gretz is one of the writers. Did hockey for them. I worked with him at FanHouse and I like him a lot. Wish I had some way to help. This is just another very depressing day in a depressing business.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Dennis Dodd is one of them, they haven't told him yet. Still tweeting at Big 12 Media Days.

5. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

CBS is in a pissing match with Time Warner cable, and word on the street is that Time Warner is going to pull CBS off the air in New York, Los Angeles and undisclosed other cities some time next week.

I think you are gonna see budget cuts across CBS, and not just at the sports website.

The actions by Time Warner could lead to big losses in revenue for CBS the rest of the year. This looks like a corporate-inspired hit.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This quesiton has been answered loud and clear hundreds of times over the past five years.

Even looking at the landscape now, I can't say I wouldn't have gone that route when I was younger. Things like money and job security just didn't matter when I was in college or my early 20s. But, man, I only hope people understand what they're getting into nowadays.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I believe Dallas is one of those cities. I've been hearing ads on the radio that Channel 11 (the CBS affiliate) is about to be unavailable on Time Warner. Another ad said the same thing about Showtime, which I think is owned by or affiliated with CBS.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... I have a ton of friends there... I'm afraid to get on FB.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Those remote editing gigs were gold.
    Paid about $50K, and you could work in boxer shorts.

It was a good team, I heard, and easy work. Sad to hear.

10. Moderator1

It was not easy work. It was a very good team

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Enjoyable work, is what I meant. And easy shifts. My buddy loved it.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We all have easy jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted